Author Topic: 5 month old a short napper--should I change routine?  (Read 1315 times)

Offline mayasmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 month old a short napper--should I change routine?
« on: May 09, 2006, 18:31:34 pm »
Maya is five months old today, and has been consistently taking short naps--25-45 minutes long.  She normally takes three naps a day but will sometimes take four depending on her wake time.  She normally wakes up between 7 - 8am every day.  She's tired two hours after her wake time so we put her down for a nap.  Usually, we don't keep her wake time mor than 2-2.5 hours as that's what "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" had said for up to four months.  Because she's such a short napper, I thought I should put her down within two hours to get more sleep.  Should I be keeping her up longer?  Her bed time totally varies, anywyere between 7:30-8:30 pm, depending on her last nap.  Sometimes she's so tired, that she'll take a nap at round 5:30 or 6:00pm, and I thought she would stay asleep, but never does, it's just a nap, so that ends up moving her bed time around. 
I try not to feed her before naps, I usually just rock her with a paci and that does the trick and when she's asleep, I'll put her in her crib.  I've tried the pat and shh method and it doesn't work, unless, she's sleeping on me.  A couple of times we've gone down for a nap together and she'll sleep on my chest and when she stirs, I'll put the paci in her mouth and pat her back.  I have to do this a few times during the nap, but sometimes, she'll nap for 1.5-2 hours.  Other times, she's up and it won't work.  At night, I give her a bottle, and she's usually asleep by the end of the bottle.
Her nights were pretty good, she wakes up at around 5 for a feed and then back to sleep.  We've had some bad nights where she's up all over the place too. 
I was also wondering if anyone found that their baby's naps extended on their own as they got older? 
Any help would be great.  Sorry for the lengthy post.

Offline mayasmummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 5 month old a short napper--should I change routine?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 18:41:44 pm »
One thing I forgot to mention, is that she has difficulty getting past the 30 minute mark.  Even when she's in a moving car, she'll wake up around the 28-30 minute mark.  At night, she'll often wake up after 30 minutes and I go up and put the paci in her mouth and rock her back to sleep. 
Also, because she doesn't take long naps, EASY is very hard to do.  I am breastfeeding and she usually eats every 2.5-3 hours.  I only have milk coming out of one breast so I don't think I am giving her enough to let her go for four hours befor her next feed. 
Finally, as I mentioned, we try to put her down between 2-2.5 hours of being awake, and usually, she is showing tired signs.  She's yawning or rubbing her eyes.  Once, she was not tired, and didn't go to sleep for 4 hours and still only slept for 30 minutes. 
Thanks for any insight.

Offline mayasmummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 00:36:34 am »
Does anyone have any advice for me please?

Offline mayasmummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 02:36:43 am »
thanks so much Stacy.  I'm know you're right, I'm just too much of a pushover when it comes to her.  As soon as she starts to cry, I'm there trying to fix it, but in the long run, I'm not helping her at all.  Thanks for your input, I will check out the pu/pd boards for more info.