Author Topic: struggling with easy - brain may explode!  (Read 1009 times)

Offline fibernie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
struggling with easy - brain may explode!
« on: May 09, 2006, 20:03:05 pm »
Hello all
I hope you can help...
EASY has been my saving grace and my little girl Hannah has been on a regular routine now since she was about 10 weeks old (now 18 weeks).  She was born at 36 weeks so was until recently still on 3 hour easy, despite being 4 months old... I haven't felt she was ready to change yet.  However, just recently she seems to be rewriting the rule book again, and I'm struggling a bit...
I think she falls best into 'grumpy baby' category.

Her last few days were like today-:
E 6.20 fed after period of being awake and playing in cot
Feeds can take anywhere between 30mins to over an hour
A
S 8am-10am
E 10am
A
S - 1130 - 1.15
E 1.15
A/S went to visit a friend - slept in car and dozed while there -total about 40mins
E - 4.15pm - took over an hour
A - decided to bath
S - refused -screamed for over an hour with me doing PU/PD until fed at 7pm-730.  Kept awake for 10 mins then went to sleep on her own.

So, folks - here is my question.... feeds used to be 6(breast), 9 (breast), 12 (breast), 3 (formula), 6 (breast)with bedtime after 6pm feed and bath and dream feed at 11pm (formula).  Has most often slept until at least 5am, more often wakes at 6.  Now if I were to go three or three and a half hours after 415 she'd not be in bed until 8pm, which is way too late I feel... and only two hours until dream feed.

Help?!!!  Sorry if this is complicated.  I just don't know how to sort this out.

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Re: struggling with easy - brain may explode!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 09:11:36 am »
Quote (selected)
E - 4.15pm - took over an hour

Is this feed formula?

Quote (selected)
S - refused -screamed for over an hour with me doing PU/PD until fed at 7pm-730.  Kept awake for 10 mins then went to sleep on her own.

What time was this?

I used to feed my DD at 5pm and then again after her bath, before bed at 6.45pm, just to top her up.

Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline fibernie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 09:29:30 am »
I think the top up is a good idea, but always trying not to associate breast feeding with sleep... should I keep up a bit longer if doing that?

415 was breast feed - she's always taken an age to feed, only recently managed to get more efficient, but can still sometimes take over an hour... think I have slow flowing milk - bottles much quicker - always about 20-30mins.

Thanks for reply - much appreciated.

Fiona

Offline corrina01

• Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 13:16:27 pm »
You are correct in not breastfeeding to sleep.

If you are feeding at 4.15pm, say that finishes at 5.15pm then give her a bath then a top - up feed at say 6.30-6.45pm.

HTH
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 15:26:29 pm »
I think that extra sleep in the car might have thrown her off a bit.  Can you give us another day's example? 
Corrina's top up suggestion is great.  You don't have to necessarily worry about exact spacing of feeds.  Just do what you have to and what you can to get enough feeds in her during the day.  Looks like she generally has a good nap pattern, and can put herself to sleep, so I wouldn't worry too much about falling asleep during the bedtime feed.  But you're right to not let her do so during the day.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007