Author Topic: is it normal for sick babies not to drink formula  (Read 8079 times)

Offline taylorbean

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 29
  • Summer Lovin'
is it normal for sick babies not to drink formula
« on: May 09, 2006, 21:55:35 pm »
I've just read one of the posts about babies refusing formula. My lo is 7 months old and since she caught a cold on saturday, she is refusing her bottles. She doesn't want anything to do with milk, she is however, eating her solids very well. My mother who has some weird advice sometimes, says that because she has plugged up sinuses she inately knows not drink milk because it's mucus forming. Have any of you experience a sudden dramatic drop in milk intake with illness.  I've tried a sippy cup, I have to say however, that I did manage to get 4 oz into her as a dream feed during her nap today, but that's all she has taken today. I'm a little worried because I have not introduced dairy to her yet in solids because she has a milk intolerance and I've been hesitant to start. ???

[Julie & Taylor (09/14/2005)

Offline GabrielleD

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
Re: is it normal for sick babies not to drink formula
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 23:32:46 pm »
Hi,

My DS usually drops the amount of formula he eats when he has a cold. I don't think formula is mucous "forming", but I think that it does thicken the mucous and may be somewhat uncomfortable to drink when your LO is stuffed up. My pediatrician recommended giving DS a pediatric electrolyte solution when he is down on his formula to ensure that he continues to get the nutrition he needs. HTH

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 01:10:21 am »
julie, i know it is so frustrating, 'cause they do tend to drop dramatically their milk intake, when Paul got sick, he was taking 8 to 9oz bottles, and with the flu he dropped to 3-4oz so it was very frustrating, but i guess it is normal, just picture when you have a cold, you don't get hungry pretty often, you just get enough not to get hungry, and so it is with the LO's, and i also remmember he took a while before his apetite returned, even when the cold had past, so you just have to ve patient, and all things will retunr to normal.
I do hope Taylor gets better really soon, it feels awfull when they are sick. {{{{{{{{{{HUGGS}}}}}}}}}}}}

Offline taylorbean

• BW Devotee
  • Summer Lovin'
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 17:05:53 pm »
Thanks Esther and Gabrielle. Glad to know you have had the same experiences. Taylor is doing a little better today with eating, so I'm encouraged. Thank again for the help. :)

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 19:13:30 pm »
Julie
As you know we are in the same position as you at the moment, he takes everything but formula.  Calum was taking over 30oz a day, now its 10oz if that. I have also been making him fruit jelly and pureed veg soup and offering water in his sippy.

You will find Taylor is 'easier' to feed when she is more relaxed and tired.

What solids have you introduced so far?

Lauren x

Offline taylorbean

• BW Devotee
  • Summer Lovin'
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 23:41:21 pm »
She is doing really well with eating solids. She eats iron-fortified oatmeal cereal mixed with 2 oz. of formula. Veggies: broccoli, carrots, green beans, spinach, cauliflower, lentils, peas. Fruit: applies, pears, peaches, cantelope, honeydew. We just started her on chicken, turkey and salmon and she eats whole wheat bread, brothy soups, rice rusks, water. I just introduced her to cheese slices today. So she's getting a pretty balanced diet, everything she gets is homemade, but the formula is just a constant struggle just as you know all too well. Maybe she's just getting sick of formula, soy is not the best tasting stuff in the world, she was doing not too bad until she got sick.

How do you make fruit jelly ?

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 06:23:29 am »
Lauren x