Author Topic: five months and sleeps only 8 hours a day  (Read 880 times)

Offline PriCostaRica

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Mother of Christine (Nov 25,2005)
five months and sleeps only 8 hours a day
« on: May 10, 2006, 03:18:25 am »
My friend's baby boy doesn't sleep during the day and during the night either... at night he sleeps from 7 -11:30pm  (at that time he eats) and falls asleep at 12:30 am  then he wakes up at 3:30 am and doesn't sleep anymore...
He was born on december 12 (almost 5 months)
During the day he sleeps if he is in the car, my friend has a girl that is 4 years old and she did not sleep during the day when she was a baby  either but she slept at night... is that something genetic because my friend is very active too ?  I read your books but my friend did not because she does not speak English

PLEASE HELP!!!
Priscilla Mora -Jones
Mother of Christine (Nov 25, 2005)
San José Costa Rica

Jo-FrasersMum

Re: five months and sleeps only 8 hours a day
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 03:53:19 am »
Hi Priscilla

Yes, all babies have differing amounts of sleep that they require.

However, the amount of sleep that your friend's baby is getting is very little.  I notice that you mention that the baby sleeps fine in the car - it sounds like the baby needs help learning how to fall asleep independently - babies are not "born" with that ability, they have to be taught.  That means learning how to fall asleep in their cot, not being rocked or walked or driven or fed to sleep.

I think that you might help your friend by explaining that the baby needs to be taught to sleep, and that they might do that by starting to put the baby into the cot very drowsy but still awake.  They can use pat/shh to help the baby settle.  As that becomes more successful, they can start to put the baby into bed slightly more awake and so on.  It will be a long process because the baby has not been taught to sleep yet, so your friend will need to be very patient.  She must remember that she has taught the baby to fall asleep in the car and that the baby now needs to be taught a new way.

As the baby learns to fall asleep independently, he should be able to sleep longer stretches because he can transition himself into the next sleep cycle.

The other thing that your friend should look at is making sure that the baby is on a reasonable feeding "routine" during the day.  By that I mean the baby should be eating at approximately 4 hourly intervals.  After their feed the baby should have some play time, followed by a nap.  I think with an older child as well, naps might be difficult to do sleep training - she should try where she can but mainly just try to ensure that the baby gets some sleep, and focus her sleep training for the beginning of the night.

She has a lot of work to do - but those are probably the most logical places to start.  Good luck to you both.
Jo

Offline PriCostaRica

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Mother of Christine (Nov 25,2005)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 04:17:11 am »
hello Jo
and thanks for your quick response... the baby does not cry durig the day or night... he just stays awake all the time... should we do what you recommend anyway?

Thanks again
Priscilla Mora -Jones
Mother of Christine (Nov 25, 2005)
San José Costa Rica

Jo-FrasersMum

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 06:35:59 am »
Hi again

Yes, I think you should.  Perhaps the baby isn't crying but it does need sleep to be happy and healthy.  You cannot make the baby sleep but you can try your best to create an environment where the baby learns good sleep habits.

Good luck
Jo