Author Topic: backpack carrier  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Micky

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
backpack carrier
« on: May 12, 2006, 18:48:54 pm »
Hi,

Could anybody advise me on how old should the baby be or how well should it be able to sit in order to carry it safely in a backpack carrier ???

My lo is 6months and we are eager to go hiking with her as soon as possible :D

Micky

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: backpack carrier
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 20:05:34 pm »
I always heard right around 6 months as that is when their heads and necks are pretty stable and they can take the motion.  I think ours was right around that when we began taking her hiking in the carrier.  Have fun!

Offline Johanne

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 09:37:34 am »
I think our DS was 6 months old when we started carrying him in his Bushbaby backpack :) I have very fond memories of walks with him :)

Jo

Offline maggieruth

• Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 10:56:21 am »
yup, i think the same.  i wouldn't worry much about how well your lo sits, as Erin M says it has more to do with good strong head and neck muscles to keep head upright as they are pretty well supported in many backpack carriers!  my ds even falls asleep in ours, he loves it BTW and apart from his easy access to my head for hair pulling, we love it too!

Offline Maman_d'Adrien

• Showing Appreciation 2
    • Pictures of us with Adrien
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 12:02:12 pm »
I agree with everyone else. 6 months is a good mark for starting, as usually babies can hold their heads well then. If you are looking to compare brands before buying, I would recommend looking at the Deuter backpacks. We have the Comfort I, which is great because it is so tinny (not wide) and weights only 4 pounds, easy to adjust straps and both my husband and I can wear it, as there is a lot of space for adjustement. We did not want a heavy back pack as our then-6 months old was already weighting 21 pounds :) If you are a serious hiker, the comfort "II" would probably be better. We have pictures with our son in it on our web site that I link to in my profile. Hope that helps! And yes my son pulls my hair and use them as a teether too while he is in there :)
Nadia

Maman d'Adrien, born September 2, 2005
Quebecoise living in the US

http://www.flickr.com/photos/les_petrus/

Offline Micky

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 09:00:19 am »
Thanks for all your advice.
It seems that we can already try how she feels in her new carrier.
I'm not sure if she can already keep up with her parents, since 8-10 hrs hike a day is normal for us. Probably we'll have to adjust a bit to her rythm, at least at first, but the possibility of changing the stroller to the backpack carrier sounds really great! :D

Micky