Author Topic: exersauser, how long is too much  (Read 1571 times)

Offline SylvieA

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 27
exersauser, how long is too much
« on: May 10, 2006, 14:23:48 pm »
Hi
My DS is nearly 6 months old, and I was wondering what is too long for a LO to spend on it. This morning while I was cleaning the family room he spent close to an hour in it(was in the same room watching) and looked like he could of stayed longer. I'm afraid he'd get a bit sore from it. Any thought. And what is the average A time at this age. TIA
Miguel-November 2005
Zoe-August 2008

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
Re: exersauser, how long is too much
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 15:16:20 pm »
I've been told 15-20 minutes tops, but there were times my LO was in it for an hour or so while I tried to get some work around the house done. I'm not sure if there is an official time limit for them.
Kimberly

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 15:28:47 pm »
I've also been told 15-20 minutes at a time - I think can be too much pressure on their spine otherwise and also have been told can hamper development if overused. I'm sure if your LO is in there for longer once in a while it's OK - just make sure to balance it out with lots of tummy time, etc. My DD won't tolerate more than 10-15 minutes anyway - she just wants to get down and crawl!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 18:05:50 pm »
I think it depends on their personality type as well. Younger los that are spirited are easily overstimulated in an exersaucer for example. My DS loves his though, he's happy in there for pretty much any length of time (within reason).
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 17:24:17 pm »
I feel like I've read 30 minutes somewhere, but I'm not positive about that number.  I think part of the complaint about exersaucers is that it encourages LO to step on their tip-toes which can confuse them later when they're learning to stand and walk.  Honestly, if you're being sensible about it and not sticking him in there for hours and ignoring him I wouldn't worry about it.  Once he starts being able to move around more anyway, he'll probably be less happy in there anyway  ::)

Offline Gippie

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 18:26:14 pm »
I am sure there are "time limits" and like everything - there are also a variety of opinions.  Our DD is 5mo2 and she goes for about 20-30 and we generally use her as a guide.  When she starts squawking - we change the venue of play. 

Stacey

Offline SylvieA

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 23:06:35 pm »
Hi there
Thanks for the replies. I guess I should use my DS as a guide with limits. Although, I think he would stay there all day if he could ;D  He just loves it.
Miguel-November 2005
Zoe-August 2008