Author Topic: Don't know where else to turn.  (Read 1261 times)

laurennsarah

Don't know where else to turn.
« on: May 11, 2006, 15:26:45 pm »
My DD has intolerance to milk and soy.  She is now 14 mo old.  We all thought she would grow out of it but here we are.  I'm am having a terrible time trying to find foods she can eat.  I have looked at all the MSPI cleared foods but she even will react to soy oil.  She only has two teeth so chewing is out.  It is all GI and behavioral.  People have got me thinking I am imagining things that there is nothing wrong with her.  Nutritionist even said it's rare there is a reaction to both milk and soy and the only thing I can do is just home cook everything basic.  Yea - easier said than done.  I have to work to pay for insurance and don't have time to waste in the kitchen when I could be playing with my children - my stress reliever.  I had used Gerber Graduates some were "safe".  A few weeks ago DD started to become a "baby monster".  I had a feeling she was reacting to something but couldn't figure out what so I chalked it up to regular baby behavior.  Now I see they have added milk, whey, cheeses to my "safe meals".  Going out of town is out of the question since I have to be near a stove to cook.  Now since the mix up she has stopped eating and relying more on the Neocate.  This is fine for now but what about the long term?

Offline Baby John

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Don't know where else to turn.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 02:46:31 am »
I've got a great book to recommend to you. It's called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron.

It'll help you find foods that your baby can take in lieu of milk and soy, so that she can get all the nutrition she needs, and it has great cooking tips for those who have no time.

Anyways, for now, have you tried fruits? Avocadoes, mangoes, papayas, bananas? They take only 5 mins to cut up and prepare. You can mix the chopped up fruits with rice, which you can prepare ahead. Just pop 1 weeks's worth of rice in the microwave and cook for 15 mins. Then, spoon them into individual containers and keep them in the freezer. That will help you a lot.

Also, you can cook about 3 days worth of hard boiled eggs and keep them in the fridge. When it's time for a meal, just crack an egg, mix the egg yolk with the rice (keep the egg white for salads as some kids are allergic to them). Egg yolks are very nutritious, they are high in calcium, protein etc. Avocadoes are very good for babies as well. You can also sprinkle nutritional yeast or seaweeds into the rice (you can get them an organic foodstores). Seaweed have lots of calcium. These are simple, quick and easy to prepare baby food which you can try until you find other things to feed your babies. How about boneless fish? Just steam them for about 5 mins in a steamer or microwave amd mix the fish with the rice. Heck! Just put the frozen rice in together with the raw fish and steam them together. In about 10 mins, you have a great meal there!

My friend's 4 year old daughter has an egg allergy, and the poor dear prays every night and says "Please God, let me eat eggs" so that she can eat cakes and ice cream at birthday parties!  :'(

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Don't know where else to turn.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 13:43:41 pm »
Great info!!  Send your friend the egg free cake recipe we have here.  I took it to work and they went gaga over it!
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.