Author Topic: independent activity time?  (Read 1470 times)

Offline ginger72

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Michelle - A Brit Living in France
independent activity time?
« on: May 07, 2006, 10:18:49 am »
Hi all!

I'm a little worried that our 5 month old LO doesn't seem able to enjoy 'independent' activity time. By that I mean, playing on his own either on an activity mat, under the baby gym or in his boucy chair. He's OK for the first 5 mins and after that starts grizzling/whining and really doesn't seem to want to play on his own. As the day progresses he becomes progressively harder work during A time and by the end is pretty much only happy if being carried around or walked in the stroller.  :(

I guess I'm just not sure if this is normal or not or whether by always trying to avoid any grizzling/whining we've created a high-maintenance LO. Can anyone advise me - is this normal? if not, what is and what can we do?!

Thanks in advance!
Michelle

Offline RyansMum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
  • Minecraft mad!
Re: independent activity time?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 11:25:57 am »
Hiya

Do you have any groups that you go to at all?  Sometimes I have found that breaks up the day and makes the afternoon a little less hard work!  Still my lo does have a whine late in the afternoon and needs more attention than say in the morning.  I guess it must be their winding down.

At the age of your lo my lo would play independantly if for example I placed him at my feet while I sat on the sofa so I was close by.  I have found he can amuse himself for longer as he has gotten older.

I too feel that sometimes my lo is a little high maintenance but by changing the scene or going out to groups helps him and me to enjoy the day and be less wingy.

Offline tiki_mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 19:30:29 pm »
have you tried him with some less stimulating toys? i was given a beautiful mamas and papas baby gym for my dd and she HATED it!!
for a start the mat was very padded so she couldn't roll around and all the brightly coloured stuff hanging over her head really annoyed her  >:(

she also hates her bouncy chair! it was just a plain one but she always got frustrated with it after a few minutes (i think she hated being strapped in). we just bought her a bumbo seat and she loves that  :)

her favourite pastime is just lying on a rug on the floor with a couple of little toys that she can grab and put in her mouth! she spends ages playing herself (in addition to being entertained by myself and dh!), but i always make sure she knows i'm close by  :)

Offline cassidyJamiesmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 01:05:49 am »
i just read your post and had top laugh becuz it sounds so much like my dd.  It seems she only wants facew to face interaction.  I do use the paci to quiet her grumblings while she plays a lone.  I also sometimes take down the arches of her playmat so she just sort of plays with her toes or her hands and does npt fget overstimulated.

high maintenance, indeed!!

I am hoping she'll outgrow it  :-\

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 17:28:01 pm »
My LO always had a tough time at the end of the day as well.  They just get more and more tired as the day goes on.  I would just stay close and keep him as happy as you can.  Let him play for as long as he can and then do some entertaining yourself for a bit.  Try and stretch out the times that he plays independently.  He'll figure out how to entertain himself eventually - 5 minutes is a very long time for a 5 month old anyway.  Once he starts moving more too things might change, I know mine is very content to just crawl around now between her toys and sometimes entertain herself - sometimes she still comes over to show me something or tell me about something and then we'll play together for a bit.

Offline ginger72

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Michelle - A Brit Living in France
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 06:53:24 am »
Thanks so much for your replies - I'm trying with more independent time in the morning when he's a bit fresher and a little less 'needy'. I think you're right about movement - at the moment we're the sole source of entertainment but I think that as time goes on and he's able to explore things on his own a bit better it'll be easier. As everyone's said, the late afternoon/early evening is the worst time!