Author Topic: I have run out of ideas  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« on: May 11, 2006, 16:10:12 pm »
I really have. At about 4 months DS started to become a very demanding very bored baby. And I didn't know it. At six months we went to Scotland visiting MIL and she sat him in a high chair and put new toys in front of him. He concentrated on them for TWO HOURS never having been so happy and excited before. He is not a cuddly baby, doesn't like sitting on my lap (boring) or lying on his tummy (seems painful to him). He likes sitting and playing with toys. The problem is that he has had EVERYTHING in the house that was childproof, played with all of it and is now bored. We can't afford many expensive toys, I am just a student and DH is on paternity leave. I made him all kinds of rattles out of everything, but I seem to run out too quicly. I am just not made for this age group :(

I have tried everything in the activitiy time ideas for 6-9 months but I have run out.

It is affecting my relationship with him because everytime he wakes up from a nap my heart jumps because I don't know what to do ??? I am also starting to be happy when he tucked in for the night because I don't know what to play anymore  :'(

I hope this stage passes soon and we can play properly. He doesn't like books much, he doesn't like tummy time, he loves going out for walks though. But he realxes so much in his pram and he is also facing away that I am afraid he not getting enough interaction and exercise. he doesn't eat much (three bottles of 7 oz milk, one wee jar of fruit and one wee jar of veggies and meat) but he is VERY chubby and VERY heavy. Off the scales actually.

What can I do ??? Any ideas  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Re: I have run out of ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 16:24:57 pm »
Steffi you have just described William... we could be speaking about the same child!

As far as toys don't panic - our LOs find all sorts of objects fun for a short while. Putting kitchen utensils(safe ones of course) and other household items in a box for them to play with and bash together is just as much fun to them as expensive toys. William loves paper and tissues and rips them up. He loves singing songs and just being allowed to roll around the floor.

Will loves his walks out in his pram too and while he is out he is getting much needed fresh air and is learning all the time from seeing the world.

I often feel guilty that I am not doing enough, especially this week when Ive been feeling so poorly, but I think we should just relax a little and feel less guilt. Scotty sounds like a happy soul and you are doing your best. I am sure that he is not suffering at all and he loves you just the same - so don't feel bad and worry that it is affecting how he feels about you.

As far as what scotty eats - Will has always been well off the scale as far as weight and height and also is a bit chubby - he has 2 bottles of milk, i bowl of porridge (made with another bottle of milk) and a small jar at lunch and a larger jar at tea time. At 6 and a half months he was about 26lb in weight.. hes now almost 10 months and I dread having him weighed. One thing I have noticed is that his weight gain has slowed down now that he is more physically active when he has his floor time and tummy time and can roll about the place. Don't worry about Scott - when he gets more active he will amuse himself for hours rolling about and keep his weight down.

Hugs xxxx Glad to see you around the boards again!

H xx

Offline Shdef

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 16:38:12 pm »
Thanks Ennypen :)

For some reason I have always seen Scotty in your descriptions of Wee Baby Woo :)

He sleeps well, eats well has a good temper and is very chubby. On some of your pics they even look a bit like each other!
And funny enough, my wee SIL's nickname is and always was JENNYPEN. So she kept looking at your slideshow in the avatars saying Awwws and Uhhhs and Ohhhhs at William :)

I also wanted to name my baby Willi, or Wilhelm, the German version but DH was very much against it. So I picked Scott, my second choice and he loved it!

In Germany there is a trend for babyish silly names at the moment. I won't mention any, don't want to offend anyone but... Fridolin...

I like the good old manly names :)

Anyway...

I have put all the kitchen utensils in abox. Over and over again. And all the toys. And the selotape. And the fluffy animals. And the wrapping paper. And the ribbon. And the normal paper. Everything we have. I keep going through the house searching and just can't find anything anymore and he gets all moany and waitingly...

He is nearly 8 months and still doesn't roll often. He only did it a few time at 3 months and a few times at 6 months and that was it!

He is NOT inside the house though. My mum is looking after him just now (I am at University right now and DH is in London til wednesday) and we have dreamweather here. He hasn't been inside once yesterday and today. He still naps in the pram, the doctor advised that and we never had a problem. It is better for us travellers and hikers...

He is sitting on a wee blanket in the shade waiting for toys to be brough to him and for nursery rhymes to be sung :)

Will doesn't eat that much either, doesn't he? I am so worried about him becoming chubby like me :(

But I think it may drop off once they are crawling and walking :)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 17:36:51 pm »
Steffi--
First off, being outside is great stimulation for Scott - so don't worry that being out for a walk is not stimulating.  You can tell him about what you see - my DD and I chat about what we're walking by as we walk.  We go around our neighborhood, to a bunch of different parks, to stores, around the mall - really, anywhere that gets us out of the house.  I find that when we get out for awhile too, she finds her toys and other things at home to be way more interesting.

Doesn't seem like you have to worry about the weight either - he's definitely not overeating as far as I can tell and with loads of LOs the weight really comes off once they start moving around a lot more. 

Seems like he'd be happier if he could move more -- there's a thread somewhere for encouraging rolling, either here or in the growth and development forum, will have to give it a look.

You mentioned he's sitting up - how about cups that stack, go inside each other, blocks, things like that.  They can be homemade or we've gotten sets of stacking cups really cheap at the store.  Those have held my daughter's attention much better than anything else.  If you show him all the things you can do with one of his toys, does it help entertain him at all?  What about playing with water?  That seems to be highly entertaining for my DD.

Hope some of this helps!

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 17:49:14 pm »
Steffi - I too thought that one of the photos you posted of Scott looked spookily like William! Also what a coincidence with your SIL being known as Jennypen lol... My Ennypen is made up from me calling myself Enny as a baby and my parents calling me Enny Penny - which became Ennypen on forums and such like.

I so agree with Erin in all that she says. Do have a look at all of the great advice that Maggie and other have to give about encouraging rolling. William has only really just got the hang of it and is now whizzing about all over the room - Scott won't be far behind.

Take care - and do relax - you're a great mommy!

H xx

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 17:51:06 pm »
Just checked out the growth and development forum and saw that you've got a post there about rolling, so I'm not going to link you to your own post :)

Like Helen said, you're doing a great job, don't worry too much :)

Offline Shdef

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 18:59:28 pm »
Thanks so much Helen and Erin :)

I will do that thing with the cups, we have got the opportunity to buy stuff like that in Berlin. Splashing water is a wonerful idea, especially now that it's soo very hot out here. I will definately do that tomorrow.

He is moving his body towards things when he sits up and gets frustrated when he can't get them. But not much... He just gives up really quickly and then just coos at the clouds... and then wants another toy, LOL

What he does like at the moment is pulling grass and trying to eat it but I have to take it out of his hands every time :) He hasn't been inside for three days now, just for his night-time sleep. he is outside from 7 in the morning til 6 at night and doesn't come in once. He is always in the shade though with sunprotection... But he likes that. My mum helped looking after him with some new ideas but at the end of the day she was shattered.

I am worried about weight issues because I think he will always be one of those people who don't eat much but still need to watch their weight. Not one of those guys who eat and eat and always stay thin. But we will manage :)

Yeah, Erin, I show him what he can do with toy. And he does it. For two or three minutes. The toys he has are fairly simple so he gets bored quickly. I think I will have to go to a second-hand-store or a toy library and get some more stuff...

Thanks yous :)