Author Topic: activity time for 2 month old?  (Read 1402 times)

Offline avery's momma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
activity time for 2 month old?
« on: May 11, 2006, 18:46:33 pm »
how much activity time should my lo be having? currently we are on 3 hr EASY and she does fairly well, but lately has trouble waking after 45 mins and not being able to settle back down, and i am wondering if i am giving her too little A time... i try to have her back in bed 40 mins after waking up (or earlier if she seems fussy) she eats for 10 mins, 5 min diaper change and then about 20 mins A time before i go back to her room to lay her down. i don't usually wind down with her at nap time, but i do at bedtime (which she typically does great).. any ideas for activities? and for how long?
thanks!

Offline janelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
Re: activity time for 2 month old?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 23:31:19 pm »
That sounds just like my ds.  He is 2 months old and has about 1 hour A time in total.  But I ma alos having trouble with the 45 minute wakings!  I was thinking the same thing about extending Awake time.  Perhaps start by extending in small increments like 5-10 minutes and see how she goes for a few days.  Be interested in any other advice people have!
Liana (6)- 9th January  2004
Liam (4) - 8th March 2006
and my beautiful new bub!

Offline avery's momma

• BW Devotee
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 03:31:41 am »
(how fun that our babies are 2 days apart!!.. we had our 2 month checkup and shots yesterday and today has been a total NIGHTMARE!! :o) she didn't sleep from 5:15 until just now (10pm) even though i tried the bedtime routine at 6pm, and even again (bath and all) at 9:30!!! and even the bour of sleep from 4:15-5:15.. she got bc i let her fall asleep on my chest.. i broke the rules to get her to sleep... but she is sound asleep now.. thank goodness!!!

i wonder about extending A time even if she shows signs of fussiness? sometimes she fusses when i lay her down on her blankie to swaddle and i wonder is she fussing bc she is tired and ready for bed, or is she fussing bc she knows i am going to put her down and she's not ready yet... any ideas? also.. what kinds of things do you do with your lo for A time? sometimes i feel like i am not doing enough.. just letting her look at me, in a mirror, around the room.. etc.. i give her "wiggle time" on her back and on her tummy.. but not too much other than those things... what about little liam?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 17:43:36 pm »
Hi!
First off, it might not be a bad idea to introduce a winddown routine at naptime.  It doesn't have to be anything fancy, I used to swaddle my DD (which we eventually dropped), sing her a song, and put her in her crib.  She does know now that her song means that it's just about naptime, so it sets the stage. 

It does sound like your LO may need a longer A time right now.  There's really not a ton you want to do at this age during A time, they get so easily overstimulated at this age, so things like looking out the window, walking around with you, looking at t mirror, looking at (or chewing on) a stuffed toy, laying on the floor or in a bouncy seat and just watching the world go by....

It's hard to tell when they're that small if they're fussing because they're overtired or not tired enough.  You can try extending very gradually - just like Janelle mentioned over the course of a few days to see if it helps your naps out at all.  And definitely wait to do anything until she's recovered from those 2 month shots.  Poor sweetie, I always feel so bad for my DD when she has to get hers.

If it helps, I would check out the sample EASY routines for LOs of your age in the EASY forum.  Might help to see what other moms did when their LOs were the same age as yours.

Offline avery's momma

• BW Devotee
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 03:47:53 am »
thank you ladies! i have extended little avery's awake time to an hour (more sometimes) and it makes the BIGGEST difference in her naps! all of a sudden, she is calming to sleep just like she used to and she stays asleep longer and more soundly than she has the last 2+ weeks! (thank goodness) yesterday and today have been so nice!!! except for the catnap/tough nap time late afternoon.. the last 3 days i have given her that nap on my chest.. hope that's not creating awful habits. i am just doing it these few days i promise until i get her back on track (from her tough week) :) what do you do for the late afternoon nap when they don't sleep without help??

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 15:49:37 pm »
Ugh, that catnap was always tough for us -- we took it in the stroller quite frequently or in the car (not the best babywhispering advice I know, but it's a tough time).  I think you'll find you'll go through periods where she'll go down for it more easily and periods where it's much rougher.  I think their sleep needs change so fast at this age, it just takes some work to get it right...and then they're on to a new routine!

Offline avery's momma

• BW Devotee
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 16:15:33 pm »
that's good to hear.. i just posted a ? about that blasted catnap (and a few other issues) on the nap board.. maybe if you have a minute you can look at our schedule and see if we need to make some adjustments..  ??? thanks!!!