Author Topic: MOVED to EASY Re: NEW support for pu/pd thread...  (Read 1135 times)

Offline SweetP

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
MOVED to EASY Re: NEW support for pu/pd thread...
« on: May 11, 2006, 18:15:26 pm »

Hello, I am new to this forum, so I apologize in advance for any confusion I have with posting a concern.  My LO is 5 1/2 months old.  She sleeps great through the night 10-13 hours but refuses to take naps without screaming.  I know that she is alright because everytime I enter the room she smiles and kicks her legs.  But as soon as I leave the room again she screams.  I have tried every method out their.  I have not even had luck with EASY and the pu/pd method.  I am not sure what else to do.  I feel that she is manipulating me....so right now I have no other choice but to let her CIO...because I can not deal with it anymore.

Thank
SweetP

Offline KellyC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
Re: NEW support for pu/pd thread...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 18:41:17 pm »
{{Hugs}}.  You're probably aware that Tracy believed that there was always a gentler way to resolve sleep issues and that she didn't advocate CIO as she believed it breaks the bond of trust between mother and baby.  So let's see if we can help;

First of all what is your routine?  I don't believe your LO would be happy when you re-entered the room if she was ready for a nap - she would be wanting sleep even if she needed help to achieve it.

I'm going to move your post to the EASY forum but I'll keep a look out for your reply.

You'll find lots of support to get through this on this website - you're not alone.

Kelly
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: MOVED to EASY Re: NEW support for pu/pd thread...
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 19:49:32 pm »
Hi SweetP

Kelly has moved this to the EASY forum so we can take a look at your routine when you get a chance to post it.  ;)

How long have you been following EASY, or have you just started?
How long has your LO being screaming when you leave the room?
Have you changed your routine in any way i.e.  returned to work?

I know that she is alright because everytime I enter the room she smiles and kicks her legs.  But as soon as I leave the room again she screams.

This sounds the same problems I had with DS at 5.5months, the way I try and help him get around his fear of me leaving him is to;
1. put a vest or shirt or any item of my clothing that has my scent on it, into his cot.
2. introduce a lovlie (teddy or blanket) again to get your scent on it, I would recommend you have it in you bed first  :P
3. give loads of cuddles during the day.
4. play peek a boo, to help her establish object permanence.

If your Lo is starting to get separation anxiety it is a real fear they have of you leaving them, they can't comprehend that you WILL return to them. Our LO aren't doing it to annoy us or play games, it is a REAL fear they have and we need to get them though it. Doing any form of cry it out or controlled crying will do  A LOT more harm than good, you will find trust is broken between your LO and yourself and it will be hard to get back.

I know how you feel at the moment, DS is unwell and has started screaming as soon as I lay him down in his cot for naps and bedtime, it is mentally draining on me, I feel really frustrated at him for just not going to sleep and I have no time to myself anymore. I have really had to focus on going through the 4 s's wind down with him. The main thing to do is try and put your baby to bed as soon as you see sleepy cues (if you don't know them yet, don't worry you will get the hang if this soon) the wind down should be about 15mins where you would establish the 4 S's;
Set the stage - get environment ready for sleep
Swaddle - or put in gro'bag this is optional and if you are used to doing it to get your LO to sleep
Sitting - quietly with no stimulation
SShush-pat

What your Lo is experiencing is completely normal and when I posted for help (for the same thing) myself I was advised it is actually a sign of VERY good psychological health.

As far as I understood it, sep anx is a healthy reaction of the baby to the attachment of the mother/carer. Babies who are in 24 hour care (in homes which is rare now) and babies who spend months in hospital without the presence of a person they are attached to don't experience sep anx. Those babies who don't will later on have problems bonding with anybody. I don't know if you really want to read that stuff because it makes you kinda feel bad, a lot of it also speaks for attachment parenting...

SweetP do you also know the temperament of your LO? You can do the getting to your your baby quiz here https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=52283.0, by knowing your LO's temperament it will allow you to be able to deal with her easier.

As usually I have written a book, hope it helps and I look forward to seeing your routine.

Lauren

Here are some of the links that may help  :-\
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=44896.0  - Scared of her room or crib???? HELPPPPP
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=55196.0 - Separation anxiety questions
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=58068.0 - What's going on?!? Getting off track...
Lauren x