Author Topic: Which to cut out first?  (Read 857 times)

Offline shelliz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
Which to cut out first?
« on: May 11, 2006, 19:19:00 pm »
I still feed my dd  once b/w 10:30 & 11:30 and then again b/w 3 &4 a second time.  The 10:30 feed used to be a DF, but she never took to it and would always wake up before hand or when I would lay her down. So...she now wakes for that feed. I am curious on which of those feeds I should try to cut out first? She eats decent at both of them, but I know she would intake more during the day if I cut one out.

What do you all think?

TIA

Offline schapelli

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 06:07:03 am »
Hi,

This is my first post so apologies if I miss anything... my son (first baby) is 5 mnths old and is now night waking between 2:30 - 3:30am hungry. He used to sleep until atleast 5:30am!
I am giving df at 10:30pm and he normally takes 5-6oz. I have been feeding him when he wakes as assumed he was hungry - possible growth spurt? He usually takes another 5-6oz in about 15mins and is asleep before I lay him back in the cot. He then wakes again around 6:30am - 7:00am but does not want to feed. It is a real struggle to get him to take 1-2oz by 8:00am. Thi9s is not enough to see him through until 11:00am so I find I have to give him another small feed before putting him down at 9:00am (2-3oz). I have tried only giving him a small feed when he wakes during the night to see if this will help him be hungry at 7:00am but makes no difference. He still only wants a little feed if anything. Should I assume his night waking is not due to hunger? I have tried to resettle without feeding but he just cries until he is fed.

Is anyone going through the same with their LO?

Amanda.

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Which to cut out first?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 01:07:54 am »
personally i would try cutting out the early am feeding as lo will be hungrier when she wakes in the morning kwim? start reducing the amount every few nights (if bf) or watering down the feeds slowly (ff fed) and be patient...if lo cries if taken off early do whatever you can to soothe and not resort to feeding as you want to stay consistant.

amanda - i had a similar problem with my dd when she was smaller and she got MOST of her daytime calories at night. at about 6 months i started a slow weaning process (as mentioned above) as it isn't too drastic as cutting out a feeding all at once and lo won't have to 'starve' to get back on track. lo will naturally and slowly but surely start taking more and more calories during the day. how are the rest of the day feeds? could you possibly post your routine as it may need some tweaking..?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005