Author Topic: DS will only go to mom & dad!  (Read 1042 times)

Offline mstormin

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 12, 2006, 15:58:35 pm »
DS is 10 1/2 mos and is pretty fun-loving and outgoing...when he's at home.  When we go somewhere else (even just to grandma's house) he won't go to ANYone else besides myself and dad.

Even when other people come over to our house.  The minute they walk in the door he either cries or climbs up on top of me.

I know at this age babies go thru a faze like this. Does anyone have suggestions on what I can do to help him feel more comfortable-- help him to play at other peoples house or to go to grandma, grandpa, etc. ??

It always feels like we go places and he's got his arms wrapped so tightly around my neck the whole time that I can't enjoy myself.  It makes me want to just get a babysitter-- but I think it's important for him to be around other people!

Thanks!

Offline maggieruth

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 251
Re: DS will only go to mom & dad!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 16:34:10 pm »
it IS important to be around other people but i guess he is just not comfortable checking them out unless you are closeby!  keep exposing him to new people either out and about or at your home, whatever works best for you and make certain that when you do the "strangers" have time to spend until he peers away from his hiding spot against your neck.  it will take a while but eventually he will start to be curious in his own way.
don't pick "strangers" who are going to get in his face and INSIST he get to know them.  chose someone who can bide their time and offer encouraging glances or smiles when your ds starts to check them out.  let him approach them and that they are calm and accepting of him.  treat it like its no big deal (even when he has you in the death grip)
hth! bet others will have more advice too (my ds is TOO friendly and would go to anyone  ::))

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: DS will only go to mom & dad!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 17:53:11 pm »
I definitely agree with what Maggie has to say - it's really something that you can't force and that you leave up to him.  I'm sure it's hard right now with him being so clingy, but just take him around other people and make sure that he feels very, very safe....and if that involves having his head burrowed into you at all times, so be it.  Also, just what Maggie said, make sure that the people you do bring him around are people who will keep their distance and let him get to know them on his terms.