Author Topic: naps and eating on easy  (Read 1060 times)

Offline ¤ Efka ¤

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 174
naps and eating on easy
« on: May 12, 2006, 19:01:31 pm »
i am little confused. when baby is on 3 hour EASY. And awake time is 1 hour. Then it takes 15 minutes for him to go to nap and wakes he up 45 minutes later, should remaining one hour spent trying to put him back to sleep or should his next feed brought closer in a case when he is crying?  :-\ And what about hen eatingtimes after this? Should these brought closer or be stretched out?? Hope I was clear ???
~Efka~

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
Re: naps and eating on easy
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 00:46:03 am »
Yes, you would want to try to extend his nap.  However, if he becomes very upset then he might need to feed sooner b/c the crying will make him hungry.  After he feeds, you will want to keep any activity short and very low-key and try for a nap again sooner than usual.  The next cycle might even be something like EASASE having 2 sleep periods if the naps are short.  Generally, you want to keep the eating times close to the same to keep his day regulated and to prevent him from snacking.  It may become difficult to distinguish hungry and tired cries, but as long as you know that he's had a full feed every 2.5-3 hrs, then he should have a full tummy.  Of course, if feeding calms him down and he is terribly upset from overtiredness or whatever, then do what you must to calm him.  He is still young, so he will be experiencing many changes rapidly, including a growth spurt in the next few weeks. 
Is there anything in particular that we can help you with?
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline ¤ Efka ¤

• Showing Appreciation 174
Re: naps and eating on easy
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 10:30:35 am »
It has been for us like this. He eats, then I put him to sleep and he takes 30-45 min nap and then wakes up, I try to calm him , but he cryies and I end up feeling sorry and feeding him, which throws off our routine. ???
~Efka~

Offline Intransit

• Showing Appreciation 31
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 11:48:26 am »
Hi Peike,
Sorry you are struggling right now...I think a lot of people go through this same situation, I know I did.  ;) And it passed with a little hard work.
If your Lo is only sleeping 30-45 minute naps, the key would be to try to go into the room just before the time he starts to stir, and help him through to the next sleep cycle. Try just laying your hand on your Lo's back...rubbing it a little..and if he starts to stir..(if you use pat/shh??) do that to help into the next sleep cycle. Sometimes it only takes the hand on the back, sometimes more.
If that doesn't work....and it sometimes won't in the beginning....and your son wakes up...pat/shh or pu/pd would be the way in which to get him back to sleep. It is a frustrating and time consuming thing to do..I remember spending 45 minutes, 1 hour...all on different days..but it did pay off. So, try using pu/pd or pat/shh..whichever works for your LO best.....if Lo gets too upset, you can take a break to calm each of you down, by changing his diaper, or you leaving the room for a few minutes..and then get back to it--"start as you mean to go on" was always in my head while I went through this. If it happens that he doesn't go back to sleep before his next feed....then feed him at the feed time of course---and then start right back into trying to get him back to sleep.
Once the naps are extended--and they will be! You will be so happy and satisfied that you and your Lo have conquered the short naps :)
Good Luck, and keep us posted.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 11:52:46 am by sjeb »
*Sarah*
Neve treat others as you yourself would not like to be treated.