Author Topic: will this work, is it safe?  (Read 1461 times)

Offline jules_is_cute

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • And the Ma-ma bear says...
will this work, is it safe?
« on: May 12, 2006, 19:28:02 pm »
I'm having trouble getting my 3.5 mo old lo to take a bottle, I've posted about this before and I've tried lots of different techniques.  My question is this.  My aunt told me to soak the nipples I'm trying to get her to take in my breast milk (they are latex and can't be put in the dishwasher) she says they'll 'soften-up' and absorb the flavor of my milk.  Is this true??  Is it safe?  I won't use the milk I used to soak in obviously.  Has anyone ever tried this?

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Re: will this work, is it safe?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 19:58:40 pm »
Ive not heard of this but I am just thinking that it would be ok to try if they were soaked in the milk in the fridge for a short time and used immediately so no bugs develop in the milk or on them... otherwise the milk left on the teat may be an ideal breeding ground for bacteria and could make LO poorly.

Just a thought xxx

H xx

Offline jules_is_cute

• BW Devotee
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 02:43:15 am »
yeah, thanks.  Good point.  I think my aunt recommended just soaking them in the milk in the fridge overnight and then washing them before I use them, but now I wonder if she meant just prior to use.  She said the subtle change in the flavor of the latex was enough for a baby's sensitive taste buds to pick up on...I don't know, it seems to make sense.  I'm still worried and sceptical.  I'm going to give it a try, anything at this point.

Offline Ennypen

• My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 15:20:58 pm »
I hope that it works for you. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for you to have to keep trying loads of different bottles / nipples to see if your LO will take to them.

I've always used silicone bottle teats and after having no luck with avent ones I found the Dr Browns/Bfree ones the best as they are so very soft - but I bet youve tried that!

Take care xx

Helen xx

Offline jules_is_cute

• BW Devotee
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 22:44:35 pm »
are those the ones the Dr brown system comes with or are there other nipples you buy separately?   I've tried the ones it comes with, she doesn't seem to like the shape and the nipple doesn't seem very soft...so I'm thinking you are talking about ones I don't know about.

Offline Ennypen

• My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 09:14:54 am »
Heres a pic of the teats I use -  they are the ones that the bfree/drbrowns bottles come with I think but you can buy them seperately.
They are incredibly soft and squidgy.

Offline andrea21

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • My 2 boys...
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 09:25:25 am »
Hi,

Have tried using not a teat but the spout ones you can get in the avent brand?Not sure of the actual name,they are white for 3months and Green for 6 months.
I had alot of trouble with my DS and went thru alot of trial and error and alot of months before I found the right one for her.
As soon as started using it,she drunk it no probs straight away.

Just an idea hope you find something,no how difficult it can be finding something that works for them.

Offline jules_is_cute

• BW Devotee
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 21:58:27 pm »
thanks ennypen, I think that is different from the one I have, maybe it's the wide neck one that you have, mine comes to a more narrow base...but it's not all that squishy, I don't think silicone can be, but I will go out and get those to try since I haven't tried them yet.

Andrea21, does the teat you speak of attach to a bottle?  I have the advent bottles and she doesn't like those silicone nipples either.  I haven't yet tried the teat soaked in BM, I will try tomorrow, or rather her granny will while I'm gone.

A friend also lent me the Adiri breast shaped bottle, I'm hoping she'll take that, it's super soft where it touches her lips after she's latched on, and she can feel the warmth of the milk through the bottle while she drinks, so maybe.   ::)

Offline andrea21

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • My 2 boys...
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 08:09:13 am »
It goes into the bottle just like a teat.So instead of having the teat in there you have the spout kind(don't no the name).It is a bit hard though,not very soft.

Hope you find something

Andrea...