Author Topic: Help! Sleeping for a gassy baby! (quite long)  (Read 1342 times)

Offline RDelaney

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Help! Sleeping for a gassy baby! (quite long)
« on: May 13, 2006, 08:23:53 am »
My LO Alex is just over 5 weeks old and I'm just starting him on EASY. The problem is that he suffers really badly from wind. He has his E (7.30am this morning) and then his A which is fine. At the first yawn I start my wind down to S, but although he's tired and yawning he can't drop off as his tummy is rumbling and then he goes through lots of straining to try and push his wind out. That wakes him up again. We can go through this cycle long enough that by the time he's finally nodded off to sleep it's E time again! He then gets overtired and starts screaming - any tips?  ???

Also, he's wide awake after his night feed. Last night he woke at 2.30 for a feed and was then wide awake and then went through the process above with his tummy and got more and more overtired. He finally fell asleep on dad (accidental parenting - I know!) at 5.30 this morning - Dad and I are shattered! Any tips for helping him to go back to sleep? Even 2 hours of shush pat didn't work! It's interesting that it's only been in the last week that he's started to wake at night - before he would go from his last feed until 4-6am without waking! Maybe he doesn't need a feed and just needs his dummy at 2am? However, he did do a full 20 minute feed at 2.30 (that's long for him - he's normally a 15 minute guzzler!)

HELP!
Thanks
Ruth & Alex!

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Re: Help! Sleeping for a gassy baby! (quite long)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 09:14:03 am »
Does he breast feed or bottlefeed?

I think all babies go through this.

What I done with my DD, is:

Bicycle her legs as if riding a bicycle
Bend her legs up to her stomach count to 10, then shake then down again (she loved this)
Rub her tummy gently from left to right in a circular motion
Stroke her tummy in a downwards motion.

When he wakes and his tummy is all upset put him up to your shoulder and pat his bum to show him where the wind should be coming out.  It will take a few weeks but it will soon go.

Also I tried gripe water and colic drops before she fed, and that cut a lot of it the wind down as well.

Once he has got the hang of this, he will sleep alot easier.  As he is in alot of pain he won't sleep as well.

HTH
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline RDelaney

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 08:17:26 am »
Thanks Corrina.
Now I've started him on EASY he's a lot calmer which is  helping his wind too. Am doing the leg-work. He's breastfed with one bottle of expressed per day. He has an anti-colic teat which I'm hoping will help.
Ruth

Offline RDelaney

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 08:37:57 am »
Oh. Forgot to say I've put him on Infacol too - so we'll see how we go. Thanks for the tips.
Ruth

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 08:48:55 am »
I put my DD on Infacol too, it does seem to calm their stomachs down  ;D
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel