Author Topic: anyone try the avent sippy cups for starters??  (Read 3284 times)

Offline crazycanuck

• Sarah
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • my nugget - she melts my heart
anyone try the avent sippy cups for starters??
« on: May 14, 2006, 18:11:25 pm »
Hi there,

I am looking to start my sons milk in a sippy currently he has a cup he cannot use the best because i think its too big it's a Nuby Soft Spout and he can hold it and put it in his mouth but can't tip it enough to get anything out - I think because its too tall.......Anyhow, I have Avent bottles and am wondering how many people used or bought the soft sippys that go with them and the handles??  You can buy sippys that adapt to the bottles right?? 

I think I may try one of those - I have another kind but its a hard sippy top and the valve makes it really hard to suck out of - I think I will have to take it out and then let him figure out there is milk in it and then replace it........

I was hoping to make use of the bottles but am aware I will have to buy a cup at some point too..........Also, what do people think about introducing the straw ones - I have read some info but people seem to be giving them later after they master the sippy cup?? Am I right??

Also - I think I am going to start offering in the cup when its time for the bottle and then see how he does - we aren't at the point yet where he eats his meals with his bottle......

Thanks

Logans Mom

breastfed for 6 months and exclusively pumping now!!!

Offline andrea21

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • My 2 boys...
Re: anyone try the avent sippy cups for starters??
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 19:49:05 pm »
Hi Logansmum,

I actually used the Avent ones with DD.IT is the one is white for 3months and green for 6months?The straight stout ones?(don't have the name of them down but no what they look like).

This was the only thing I could get my DD to drink from.I used it with her bottle and not the cup until she was 2years old.She could drink from a normal cup,but when it came to her milk at night time,I found in the cups with handles she always had milk all over her,so kept her drinking her milk like that until she was 2.

She was happy drinking like that and that was the main thing.

I use all avent stuff for DD and my 5month old DS now.

Hope this helps.

Andrea...

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 23:34:13 pm »
I also use the Avent sippy cups with DS. The ones we have are soft spout - he loves it, he can chew on it when he's teething.  ::)  But he does also drink from it as well. It has been easy for him to hold and also to drink. We tried a hard one first too but the valve was way too tough, he couldn't get anything out. Neither could I!
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline crazycanuck

• Sarah
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • my nugget - she melts my heart
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 13:09:13 pm »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your reply - I went out and bought the Avent white 6mnth plus soft spout that adapts to the bottles and cups - I tried it this am - took the valve out at first so he knew there was milk coming out - then put it back in - he sucked on it a little little bit and got some milk out but not much - he just played with it more........then i gave him the bottle - so what i am wondering is - I will continue to give him the cup first with milk and let him drink as much as he can - then the bottle.....keep doing this until he is drinking everything from the cup.....in the meantime - what should I use for his water? at mealtimes?  I wanted to keep this cup for just milk so he fam with it at milk time - I tried the hard one again and he won't suck it and without the valve it flows way to freely........I'm sure i read somehwere that you shouldn't offer them milk from a cup your always giving juice in?? What do you think - I decided to give him back his Large Nuby soft spout cup (its not non spill though) cause he is good at sucking on the soft spout and it doesn't flow to fast for him to drink from......

Thanks

Logans Mom

breastfed for 6 months and exclusively pumping now!!!

Offline andrea21

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • My 2 boys...
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 11:23:47 am »
Hi!!

I had the same trouble that my Dd wouldn't get a good flow thru it,so i cut between 2 of the dots to make the flow better.Once I did that as she got older,I just increased the cuts to suit her.Then she had no problems with the flow at all.

My DD had her juice,water and milk all out of the same as it was the only thing she would take.
She is 4 now,and she drinks 2cups of milk a day still some days more.So having the 3 out of the same bottle didn't effect her.

I would say go with what you think is right,you are the only one how no's your child 100%.

Hope this helps
Andrea...

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 19:35:36 pm »
DS has 2 Avent sippy cups - One with a soft spout and one with a hard spout - I introduced the hard spout to him first as there was not any soft ones available.  We have always taken the valve out of the cups - DS has never used it with them in.  To be honest when I first bought them i though they were the just to stop them from spilling if you knocked it over  ::) so I took it out.  I have tried giving DS his cup with it in now and he cannot get anything out of them, so have just stuck to it without the valve in.
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007