Author Topic: Severe Diaper Rash!!!  (Read 3200 times)

Offline etmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: May 15, 2006, 16:29:27 pm »
I am actually writing for my sister-in-law.  Her LO has had more diarhea-type stools since birth.  Then she switched formulas and it helped----temporarily.  Any thoughts on why the stools may still be runny even though her dd is happy as a lark?

When she's not happy, it's due to the very severe diaper rash.  Does anyone have suggestions for diaper rash?  Her dr. actually prescribed medication that's used for third degree burns!  It is that bad and blistery.  So any help would be great!  I know she has her lie around without her diaper on when she can to help it dry out and has had her soak in baking soda and vinegar.  I don't think she's seen a big improvement in any of these.  OPen for suggestions!

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Severe Diaper Rash!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 16:34:00 pm »
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=39859.msg260080#msg260080

etmom

just found the above post, could it be a milk intolerance ???

lauren
Lauren x

Offline etmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 16:39:31 pm »
The switch she made was from the milk-base to the Isomil and that's what she's on now.  That is the one that worked temporarily and now she's having runny stools again.  She did just start to have blood in her stools as well last weekend.

Offline Tonya

• Showing Appreciation 252
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 16:41:24 pm »
Many babies that are intollerant or allergic to milk are also allergic to soy, which is what the Isomil is made of.

If there is blood in her stool, I would take her to the ped to rule anything more sinister out, and then there are plenty of formula's avialable that might do the trick!  (although, most are more expensive....but totally worth it!)
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 16:43:56 pm »
Thanks Tonya  ;)
Lauren x

Offline Noahret43

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Cole and Camryn
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 07:58:50 am »
My son had a similar problem.  He's almost 2 and when he cut his eye teeth he had very bad diareah.  My mother in law is a nurse and she gave me a concoction of sorts that they use on patients with bed sores in the hospital. 

Okay mix cornstarch baby powder(or cornstarch you would find in the baking aisle if you can't find it),maalox or milk of magnesiia (plain flavored) and balmex or a store brand of Zinc oxide paste/cream.

Make it to the consistency of taffy or a tad thicker.  Apply it with a plastic infant spoon generously on her area.

What happens is as it dries it actually seals off her bottom so that when she goes again that acid in her poop won't be getting to her sensitive skin.  It takes a few days but you should see improvment in a day or two just be on top of her as far as changing her often. 

Also try leaving her in just a diaper or a loose onsie. Don't put her in any clothes like jeans or anything constricting that doesn't allow air to get in there or flow....you want her bottom to be able to breathe as much as possible so put her in things that will allow some air to circulate.  Also a diaper that is one size too big also helps with the circulation.

As far as the wipes go my son always had a sensitive bottom from birth and was very prone to diaper rash so we use cotton rounds that you would use to remove makeup.  Target sells them for about 1.29 for a 50 pack.  They make small ones and big ones.  We use the larger ones.  We wet them and put them in his wipes warmer.  My daughter is 9 weeks and we use them for her as well and she hasn't had diaper rash yet.  And mind you my kids poop alot throughout the day.

Good luck.  Hope it helps.

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 08:02:31 am »
Hi! We have just got rid of a very bad diaper rash (lasted weeks)...tried everything from daktarin (for thrush as he gets this often) to all creams, in the end DR prescribed Gentalyn Beta which as a tiny bit of antibiotic in it, cleared up in 2 days....maybe spk to ur dr about it.

Offline GabrielleD

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 12:42:45 pm »
I don't know if this even applies to your LO, but my SIL's 3 kids all had severe diaper rash when they were little, and were finally diagnosed with a zinc deficiency. She is currently breastfeeding her DS (6 weeks old) and is taking zinc supplements, and apparently his diaper rash has improved. HTH

Offline TJ & Stephy's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 18:04:55 pm »
My LO had a couple severe diaper rash with open sores when he was about 2 months old.  It was a horrible experience :(, LO cried alot because his bottom was in pain. 

Anyways, we used a diaper rash cream called Triple Paste by Summers Lab.  It worked wonders and cleared up the rash within a couple of days.  It is expensive for a small tube but it is worth the money.  Our Dr. recommended the brand and you don't need a Dr.'s prescription to buy it.  The Dr. also suggested soaking in the baking soda and leaving the diaper off whenever possible.  And when you are changing the diaper make sure the bottom is completely dry when you apply the diaper cream.  One more important thing, stop using baby wipes for awhile as they will prolong the diaper rash.  We had to use warm water and cotton balls to clean LO's bottom and we still do it that way and the diaper rash has never come back.  However, we do use baby wipes when we go out but never at home.  Dr. also said that we had to change the diaper immediately whenever LO had a bowel movement. and that breastfed babies are prone to diaper rashes so you will need to apply a daily cream to prevent diaper rashes.

HTH
Melodie

Offline Duckie

• Showing Appreciation 183
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 08:36:16 am »
J had the worst diaper rash I've ever seen a few weeks ago and it was all because we bought a different brand of diapers.  There were little open sores on his poor little bum and bits!  Switched back, slathered the cream on thick, changed him often and "aired him out" a few times a day and the rash cleared up within a day.
Mother Duck to A (June/01), J (April/06), my sleeping S (2/Dec/03) and my nameless angels (1/July/04; 2/Nov/04; 13/July/05)

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 09:56:29 am »
Hmmmm... blisters do sound like thrush to me...

Is that possible?