Author Topic: Went from 3 hours to 2 hours between feeds...  (Read 1073 times)

Offline ladyscott

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Went from 3 hours to 2 hours between feeds...
« on: May 15, 2006, 20:28:34 pm »
What's up with this?  For the past couple of weeks, my dear son (7 weeks old, corrected age 2 weeks) has switched from needing to eat every 3 hours to eating every 2 hours!  I don't really mind, but it does cut into his nap time.  He's thriving and gaining weight very well.  His diapers prove he's eating well, and except for gas, he's a happy baby.

He sometimes eats off one breast, and sometimes he eats off both...depending on how hungry he is for that feeding.  My breasts are getting fuller and get engorged at night when he lasts a little longer between feedings. 

I thought it was a growth spurt at first, but aren't those supposed to last only a couple of days?  This is now his regular schedule.  I tried lengthening it, but he's obviously hungry and lets me know!  So, I'm just going with the flow.....

But really, what's up with this?

ladyscott

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
Re: Went from 3 hours to 2 hours between feeds...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 21:37:13 pm »
Personally, I would think this is somewhat normal and I wouldn't be too concerned. As he is getting older and the milk is there he wanting it more often. I know we did a "2 hour EASY" for awhile, then stretched to 2 1/2, then 3 and honestly, we never really got beyond that. Even now, if we are home he wants to eat within 2 1/2-3 hours, if we are out he can go 4-5 just fine.
For us, the biggest key was not nursing to sleep and letting him learn to go to sleep on his own. Regardless of the times, if you can do the EASY routine of eating, playing (changing diapers, etc) then sleeping then I think you are doing great and that is the biggest part of the battle.
This was just us, I know others that nurse that can do the 3 hour EASY well and it worked for them, just wanted to share what worked for us, I know I kinda stressed alot about it too and finally realized it was okay, that's what my baby needed and we were both happy.

Also, are you nursing one side or 2? If you are doing one, maybe try adding the 2nd and see if that helps too extend his times. We went to both sides by about 3 months I think and never went back to one.
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline ErinB

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Utah, US - but NC girl through & through!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 22:57:35 pm »
I have a 6 week old who is doing the same sort of thing....was doing pretty well on a 3-hour EASY, then after a growth spurt around 5 weeks, seems to not want to go back to 3-hour sched. The growth spurt lasted about 2-3 days, she sort of got back on track for a few days, now back to wanting to nurse almost every 2 hours on the dot! I can sometimes get her to go 2 1/2 - 3, but mostly it's q2! Was wondering if another growth spurt - but seems too close to the previous one!! I also tried to get her to skip her 3 AM feed last night, and she lasted til about 4:30. Has been super hungry today - very upset when I try to get her to last longer (just like the growth spurt - I mean screaming mad!) So maybe she's not ready to drop the night-time feed!

I agree with the last reply as well, that some babies just seem to do this - so try to relax and go with it - which it seems you are doing!! : ) I get stressed about the schedule thing too, then realize, this is just a little baby and I should enjoy these moments...and relax too! as they get bigger/more efficient nursers, I think (hope!) the time will stretch out naturally! : ) EBW
the road goes on forever, but the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen

Offline ladyscott

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 13:50:50 pm »
Ok now its getting ridiculous!  He's fussing to eat every 1.5 hours now.  He has a certain cough-cough cry when he's hungry.  His naps suck.  He's started snacking now, which is part of the problem, and he's started falling asleep on the breast.  (I nudge or burp him, or even change his diaper to wake him up then return him to the breast)  Right now I've got him snuggled to me, swaddled, head covered and sucking on a pacifier just to keep him content a little longer.

I do have fast let-down, but I take measures to ease it and make sure he gets hindmilk.  My milk supply seems enough, if not a little extra too. 

I know he can go longer between feeds.  On occasion he does.  How can I lengthen times between feeds?  i'd be happy with every 2.5 hours.

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 14:16:33 pm »
We bf every 2 hours until about 3 months. 

Is it possible that your little one is actually have sleep problems and is just soothed by the breast?  You mention that he falls asleep on the breast and that his naps suck.  Perhaps working on longer naps will help "fix" the situation.  I would work your way up slowly.  It would be a big shock for him to just go straight to 2.5 hours. 

If you do breast compressions while he is on the breast it will push more milk into his mouth and keep him sucking and awake hopefully.  This may also help fill his belly more and help eliminate the snacking.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 14:46:11 pm »
I would ditto Jodie!

Have you tried maybe just changing his diaper before laying him down, even if he's asleep? What happens? I know for us, Caeden would often then wake up completly and then crywhen laid down. I would encourage to really try and lay lay him down awake and see if he will fall asleep on his own. IMHO, using the paci or even just sitting by his bed with your hand on his chest would be okay at this point and are easier to wean down the road if you need to then weaning off nursing to sleep.
I wish I had really stuck with getting him sleeping on his own sooner then I did, I think it would have been easier, so that is my biggest piece of advice.

As for the often nursing, I wouldn't worry about this "as much" as maybe the sleeping, it will work itself out with better sleeping.

Are the naps right at that 45 minutes mark? Check out the nap board for some helps on getting past that!  ;)

((((((((((((HUGS))))) - I know this is all easier said then done! I have been there!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011