Author Topic: question about head support in infant carseat, when to remove the extra roll  (Read 5424 times)

Offline jules_is_cute

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • And the Ma-ma bear says...
I don't know where to post this question...so I'll post it here in hopes of getting an answer.

when do I remove the baby head support roll in her carseat, it didn't come with the infant seat it's the extra one you buy that has 2 pieces that support the infants head.  She is in a regular infant seat, not a convertable.  There's about 1.5 - 2 inches of space on either side of her head without the roll.  but when she's in there with the roll it pushes her shoulders forward and she looks a bit squeezed.  Her head is touching the extra foam piece all the way around and I find I now have to pull it forward around her head otherwise her head just sits in front of the roll.  It seems to be a bit in her way.  But she looks kind of small in the seat without it. 

Is there an age it should be removed or a weight?  She's 3.5 months old, holds her head up well enough to be forward in the Bjorn for walks, and has doubled her birth weight already so she's 14.5 lbs.

Any help would be appreciated.    :)

Offline maggieruth

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 251
i have that same kind of head support, they are really good!  i only got mine when my ds was 2 months old so he didn't use one when his head control was at its worst!  paradoxically, he still uses it now because it gives him something to sleep against for longer car rides and looks comfy. (i took the first roll out when he looked squashed and now he just has the bigger one in)

if she doesn't look comfy then i would take the roll out and feel justified in doing so becuase the rolls were an add on that you bought.  IMO, that means that the car seat should be safe without them as that is how they sold it in the first place.  if you can make it look comfy and it doesn't take longer than she can tolerate waiting then maybe leave it in til you are certain its too small/too cramped for her as it must be more comfy!

it sounds like she is doing great!  hope that the advice makes sense to you! x

Offline ktkat

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
I sort of have the same issue.  Our headrest thing had two stages; one for infant and one for older.  The bigger one still fits, but I think it bugs her because she can't see around it.  But, when she falls asleep in the car seat and it's not there, her head slumps to the side and it looks so uncomfortable!  I'm not sure when to stop using it, but maybe here in a couple of months (she's 7.5 months now).
Katie  =^..^=

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
I am assuming that you are talking about the head hugger?

We removed Bram's when he was about 4 months old.  Once he could hold up his head he would lift it and then he would have his head resting on the side.  I figured that could be a bit dangerous so we removed it and now if he lifts his head he doesn't get caught up on anything.

Offline jules_is_cute

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • And the Ma-ma bear says...
Yeah Lana,
I guess that's what I don't like it looks like her head is sometimes in front of it instead of in it.  When I put her in there I nestle her head into it thinking it must be comfy, but on warm days i notice she's basically got a think hat/covering on her head, the darn carseat is already hot enough being made of polyester/plastic.

Her head does lean a bit forward when she falls asleep, and the head rest doesn't appear to be giving her a lot of support, but I bet I'll notice a difference when I take it out. 

Ktkat,

How much does you 7.5 mo old weigh?  I know holding their head up purely developmental, but Jules is also a larger baby in the 95 % for all her measurements...my friends baby who is 9 months old only weighs 3 lbs more.