Author Topic: need to transition to 4 hour or still learning sleep?  (Read 1424 times)

Offline sarahlou

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
need to transition to 4 hour or still learning sleep?
« on: May 16, 2006, 02:52:17 am »
I've posted a number of times on my little guy and we have made huge progress at our house! We initially had trouble with EASY, and managed to establish it only by having all daytime sleep in the swing or carrier and night-time sleep in the swing until the DF then the crib. In the last 2 weeks we FINALLY ditched the swing, and he now starts all naps at home in his crib and only goes in the swing if the nap ends early. 
My question for today is regarding the short naps.  Last week when we started, all naps would begin in the crib and end in the swing but altogether would total 1.5hours. For the last 4-5 days I can't get him back to sleep using any method.  I've also noticed that he seems to be snacking a bit- he's not feeding as well as previously despite my efforts to extend breastfeeding time.  Subsequently sometimes he can't last a full 3 hours.  In the same breath there are many instances where he seems disinterested in feeding until 3.5 hours.  I'm wondering if the two issues are related and whether it might be time to transition, or perhaps the napping issue is simply still related to learning to sleep in his crib?  How would one know the difference?  I'm hesitant to start the transition too early when we are finally seeing results for all our hard work in the sleep department!
Currently our schedule is pretty textbook- 7, 10, 1, 4, 7, DF 11 (give or take a bit). My wind down is always the same- 10min before I stop fun stuff and just sit with him or walk around, then we head to the bedroom undress to diaper shirt and change if necessary, swaddle, sit in chair until looks sleepy or starts turning head in then head to crib.

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Re: need to transition to 4 hour or still learning sleep?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 08:44:44 am »
Firstly, how old is your DS?

Can he go to sleep independently?
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline sarahlou

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 14:59:25 pm »
He is 3 months exactly. He is doing quite well for independant sleep. I stand by the crib until he falls asleep and do very little to help him. If he is restless I might have to replace the soother a few times, but otherwise he does it on his own. It still takes a long time- at least 20 min from when he goes in the crib, but generally getting shorter (used to be 40 min or more).

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 16:47:53 pm »
Could you post his routine please.

I don't think he is ready for the transition yet.

But good on you for getting him to go to sleep independently.

Corrina
Mum to Faith

Offline sarahlou

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 02:37:03 am »
Today was quite typical and went:
E 7:30
A
S 9:00
awake 9:45, light activity
E 10:30
A
S (on walk) 11-11:30, wide awake on return, light activity then nap in crib 12:30-1:30
E 1:30
A
S 2:30-3:30
A
E 4:15
A
S 5:30-6:15
A
E 7:00
A bath
S 8:00 ( a little later than I'd like, but quite fussy)

will DF at 10:30, typically wakes once at 3 or 4.  Somenights he will wake at 1 and 5. 

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 06:45:43 am »
Do you do sush/pat to try and get him through to the next sleep cycle in the morning?

After his last nap finishing at 6.15pm I would suggest that do a little bit of activity, then have a bath, then feed at 7pm and then to bed as you say that going to sleep at 8pm is a little later than you would like.

Just to say I'm going to move this over to nap board.

Corrina
Mum to Faith