Author Topic: Hates being patted all of a sudden  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Rubycino

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 16, 2006, 03:15:47 am »
Hi, I posted a week ago about my DD not wanting to nap anymore and went on daytime sleep sleep strike!! Well the sleep has mildly improved, however one thing i have learnt is she absolutely hates being pat and sushed on the head anymore and even hates a firm hand on her chest or me even being in the room. Today i was so frustrated due to lack of sleep that i put her down at 12:15pm and left her went back in once with crying and said it was ok kissed her and walked straight back out. She is now asleep with about 3 minutes of crying. This obviously is not the PU/PD method as this seems to get her more worked up, so maybe she is crying to releive some tension but i am reading this as a sign to pick her up???

Not sure what is happening to our night sleeps, but she usually goes to bed at 7pm and we giver the DF at 10:30pm. For the last two nights she has cried out and needed resettling between 7pm and 10pm on the hour and after the DF has continued to wake every 3 hours??? I am at a complete loss as to why? I gave her some pain releif last night thinking it may have been teeth but that did not work. In the end i fed her at 3.30am (which of course stuffed the 7am bottle) but she was happy for her brekkie and a top up bottle at 7am.

Any ideas, at night i cant manage the PUPD as poor DH has to work the next morning and it can take us anywhere from an hour to settle to be up again but patting her bum and rocking takes minutes! (I know i know) but at that time of the night i am tired and she normally does sleep through so it is not like she doesnt know how to settle herself.

So probably what i am leading to is does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for my 6 mo?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 19:28:02 pm by stacy »

Offline napcat

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 17:39:50 pm »

This is probably not very BW but I had pretty much the same prob weeks of sleepless nights (my DS was waking every 2 hours and my DH had moved to sleep in the lounge!!). Tried PUPD which did nothing for my touchy baby!!  I realised I was just interfering with his sleep so tried CIO, First time cried 1 1/2 hours but most of it was mantra, next night 30 mins, next 10, tonight just rolled over and slept - no more nightwakings.  :) :)  I dropped all night feeding at about 5 months as I realised he just didn't need/want it and DF definitely didn't help.

Good luck!!

Offline shelliz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
Re: Hates being patted all of a sudden
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 18:16:31 pm »
Ruby..

Hugs to you. I am sorry you are having a tough time. I have been there! It sounds as if your baby may be overtired. When they wake like yours is doing  (after you put them down for the night and before the DF)...it is usually a sign of being overtired from the day. Could you post your schedule?  We can take a look and see if you can tweak your schedule to prevent you lo from being overtired (if this is the issue).
  My dd used to be o.k. w/ patting on the butt or p.u/p.d...now she hates all of that too!  Me and my DH have to mix it up at night. We don't pick her up at all anymore (unless it is time to feed her). We will try laying one hand on her back She rolls to sleep on her belly now, she used to only sleep on her back), sometimes stroking her head works, sometimes a heavier hand on her back, sometimes a light massage to get her to relax. We never know what will calm her down. Sometimes her just knowing that we are there for her is all that she needs. She may cry for a while..but as long as I am there by her (and I will reassure her by whispering "it's just time for night night) that is fine. 
   Napcat...I am sorry that you felt you had to resort to letting your lo CIO.  There is another way that will make your baby AND yourself feel much better!  The Baby Whisperer doesn't back the CIO method. This method of "being there" for your lo when he/she cries is what they attempt to teach here. I know it isn't as easy as letting a baby cry it out...but you are creating a trust bond b/w you and your lo and you are TEACHING a new way to fall asleep.   :D

Offline corrina01

• Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Could you post your routine please Ruby, then we can sort through your routine, see if it needs tweaking, whether she is overtired or not tired enough.  At this age (am I right in saying 6 months) everything changes.

Ruby and napcat :

Please don't resort to "cry it out" or "controlled crying",  this doesn't solve the problem and BW does not advocate with either of CIO or CC.  It breaks the trust between you and the baby.  They are crying as they need something, or are in pain.

Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline Rubycino

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 22:39:45 pm »
Hi Guys

Sorry for the delayed response, i could not find my post..

Our routine has improved since we last posted this. We have stopped the DF and Ruby is not waking at night now before 12am. We have had 3 nights of sleep through and then last night awake at 12am and again at 3am where she was really restles and has resulted in her now being rocked to sleep at 7.30am as she was zonked!

Her day time is going great it is as follows:

7am bottle 200 mls
8.30 solids
10.00 sleep (got this sorted out to 2 hours!!!Yipee)
12 bottle (yesterday only took 100mls)
1 solids
2.30 sleep (between 1 to 1.5 hours)
3.30/4.00 bottle (yesterday only took 100 mls)
5.00 solids
6.45 bottle (most times between 220 and 260 mls)

We have resorted to wrapping her arms only which seems to be working. Just not sure what happened last night as she followed the routine to a tea except where her two day time bottles she did not want much.

My girlfriend seems to think that at night i am rushing in far too quickly and responding to her mantra cry (she is a loud screamer even when excited) which is actually waking her but i am not sure. Sometimes i agree as for instance last night i picked her up at 12am and she held me as tight as she could but was asleep??? I put her down and she then woke at 3am but this time i ended up with her in our bed but she just tossed and turned.

Sometimes i have no idea what she is thinking!!!

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
Re: Hates being patted all of a sudden
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 23:01:09 pm »
Napcat...I am sorry that you felt you had to resort to CIO. However, with respect CIO and CC are not advocated by this sight. Please remember this forum is to promote and encourage people in the use and success of Tracy's technec. The goal of these technecs is to strengthen the bond between parent and child by ensureing that the child knows the parents will always be there for them.

Ruby... It can sometimes be very hard to tell a mantra cry from a real cry. Trust yourself and you'll do fine. Yes if you think its a mantra cry wait before you go it, but if you think its a real cry go to her right away. Do what works for your child. What you discribe is what I used to have to do for my DD, I left her if she was only fussing but went to her when she cried.

I'm not sure how old your DD is but it sounds like she may have hit a growth spurt maybe. Or it could even be time to move to a 3.5 or 4 hours EASY.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 23:02:42 pm by Karita »
Kimberly

Offline Rubycino

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 01:25:48 am »
Thanks Stacy it probably is best to move my query.

She has reduced the amount of bottle but i have not increased the amount of solids i have been giving her. If anything she has not been finishing her food which she often does. Maybe you are right about teeth. We did give her pain releif a week or so ago, but then i sort of thought i cant put it all down to teething and keep dosing her on pain releif...

Amy