Author Topic: wriggling at nappy change  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Sarah J

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
wriggling at nappy change
« on: May 16, 2006, 11:56:11 am »
my little boy is a wriggler and extremely acitve which is great but i am strggling with nappy changes.

he will not lay on his back for a spilt second, he arches his back and tries to roll  and then he is off crawling away.  he doesnt seem distressed but does seem to get frustrated as i keep putting him back saying firmly"lay still on your back while mummy changes your nappy". it has taken me twenty minutes to change his nappy before now and we are often both covered in the contents of his nappy.  even when i enlist help (not always available) its the same. i always change him on the floor for obvious reasons. he is like an electric eel most of the time but i find it hard to secure his nappy while chasing him round the room!!!!!

should i be more firm with him, is it just a phase?  i dread the struggle and the clean up afterwards!  hhhhhhheeeeeeellllllpppppp!!!!!!
Sarah

Offline yaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
Re: wriggling at nappy change
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 12:49:29 pm »
hee hee sorry couldnt help to giggle! How old is LO? Mine is almost 7 months and our nappy change sound similar! Found it very sweet when it first started but not so much now!!!

No advice im afraid but if LO is old enough maybe u do need to be more firm
??

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 12:58:09 pm »
Hi Sarah J,

Can you give him something to distract him?  Car keys?  Cell Phone?  Small Book?  As long as it is something that he does not get to play with often, it usually works for me.

Good luck.  I know how frustrating it can get!!!

Judy

Offline ktkat

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 13:39:44 pm »
I am starting to have this same problem!  But with a girl, at least the pee doesn't go streaming about the room!    ;D   ha ha!  I just keep a toy on the changing table so she can play with that while I try to change her! 
Katie  =^..^=

Offline ~BeckyD~

• Showing Appreciation 67
  • Devon, England
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 14:16:15 pm »
Yes, we have this too. 
Jack is wise to my attempts at distraction so literally nothing would stop him crawling off.(Apart from 2 pairs of hands to help pin him down)  They just don't understand why they need to stop playing and lie still on their backs huh?!  ;D  :P

I am trying now to 'save' a toy or some kind of object and get that out just for nappy changes. I keep it out of sight and reach at all other times so that he doesn't get to play with it and get bored of it!

I am still experimenting with which object works best for us,so far its a small tub of uncooked rice. I guess I will have to keep changing it to keep it interesting!  ::)

Oh the joys!

Good luck!

Offline Sarah J

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 15:12:46 pm »
i tend to give him that isnt a toy like the wipes or closed tub of cream (apparently far more interesting than the brightly coloured, musical feely things he has!!??) but like beckyDs lo he is wise to that now.  singing used to work too but he is bored of that (or maybe its just painful for him!!!!) 
he is 8.5 months old now.  when he was 4 months and learning to sit we had to do everything while he was sitting up which was hard at first but i got better!! i just cant seem to manage these 100 mile an hour nappy changes with little legs kicking furiously while he thrashes around before zooming off!!
i will try some rice in a tub i think he will like the noise (for a second or two because nothing beats zooming around naked from the waist down!)
Sarah

Offline ~BeckyD~

• Showing Appreciation 67
  • Devon, England
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 18:10:29 pm »
(for a second or two because nothing beats zooming around naked from the waist down!)

LOL!  :D I know what you mean. When Ellie-May reached this point I used to let her go without her nappy on for a while,(obv. they do like a bit of freedom from thier nappies from time to time) but with boys theres not much controlling that little thing of theirs!!  ;D

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 19:08:23 pm »
Suppose nothing really changes there when they grwon up then!

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 19:14:02 pm »
LOL ;D
Judy

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 01:26:18 am »
Have you tried playing peek-a-boo?  I've found that sometimes throwing a towel over my DD's head gives me enough time while she's pulling it off to get the diaper on. 

Offline Sarah J

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 07:54:39 am »
thanks erin m i will try that.

tried some rice in a tub and he did like it - i think he liked the noise.  he seemed to have the most fun throwing it and scrabbling to get after it!!
i will look for an even smaller tub before i end up with a black eye!!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 08:23:51 am by Sarah J »
Sarah

Offline vmcdonald28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 13:24:10 pm »
have you tried bubbles? My lo was the same, but I bought bubbles, and blew them above his face at that crucial moment, and it was enough to distract him for a minute, then when they all burst do it again! If i made lots of ezcited noises when they burst, he liked that too, so looked at me for another few crucial seconds!!

Offline maggieruth

• Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 13:56:23 pm »
my dh and i are mastering changes standing up which is no mean feet in cloth nappies, if only they did cloth pull ups  :-\