Author Topic: too much sleep during the day?  (Read 852 times)

Offline frankiesmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: May 16, 2006, 13:35:22 pm »
Hi, Ds is 5 days old and I am really trying to start off on the right foot with this one.  He is on a 3 hour EASY, sometimes 2.5 if he doesn't sleep long enough.
So far he has been starting his day at 8am, he is bf, and he has been eating for aoubt 30 to 40 minutes.
He is ready to go to sleep right after eating, yawning and sometimes just falling asleep without much intervention.
We follow Tracy's recommendations for swaddling, pat, sh, etc.  Usually nods off with no problem.  Sometimes wakes up at the 20 minute mark and sometimes at the 45 minute mark, but I can often put him back easily with no problem.  I wake him if he has slept for more then 2 hours.

I haven't had much success with the cat naps, it ends up being more like a regular nap.  So, I have just treated it as a regular 3 hour interval, planning to have him in bed by 8pm. 
The first night home, he woke every 2 hours to feed but last night he was up every 45 minutes on the dot!  And he was screaming, just frantically.  He was burrowing his head into my shoulders and trying to root, would take a pacifier, but would get very frustrated and was just inconsolable.  I of course ended up feeding him b/c it would end up being 2 to 2 .5 hours, and of course he would only eat for 20 minutes and fall asleep, only to be up again in 45 minutes, screaming.

So, so you think he is getting too much sleep during the day and that is why he is awake at night?  Do I need to try to increase his awake time?  He just seems so sleepy right away after waking up.  I just don't understand why he was so frantic last night.  Also, can you give me some suggestions about the tanking up and the cat nap.  If he has 3 hour naps and wakes from his last one at 4, do I put him back down at 5, wake him after 45 minutes, feed him again and put him back down at 6, wake him after 45 minutes, then feed him again at 7 and right to bed? 

Thank you so much!

Kim