Author Topic: Pooping after being put down for bedtime??!!  (Read 3706 times)

Offline mom2william

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Pooping after being put down for bedtime??!!
« on: May 17, 2006, 00:37:10 am »
OK, so this is totally weird but I need some advice!  For about the past 5 or so days, my DS has had issues going down for bedtime.  (See my post "need help with wi/wo for 13month old").  I tried wi/wo and that worked for one night and then we've gone back to when he cries for us, going back in and holding for a minute or two and then putting him down.  I am trying to wean him off of being held so long prior to going down.  Ever since we did wi/wo, he has pooped sometime during the crying process and then he'll be ready for us to put him down and go to sleep.  What the??!!!    ???  Has anyone ever experienced this?  I don't even know if this is in the right forum to discuss this.  What can I do to get him to poop prior to bedtime and also is he waiting??  Is he too young for that?

Thanks in advance!

Suzanne

William born 3/23/05
Bennett born 3/3/08

Offline SarahB

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Re: Pooping after being put down for bedtime??!!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 09:25:06 am »
Yes, my DS does it every single evening.  Hes 2 and a half and hes been doing it now for quite a few weeks.  Hes not good to put to bed.... he just waits til Iv gone back upstairs (upside-down-house) and then he comes up time after time.  He started coming up grabbing his pants saying he'd done a poo.... he then did this every single night for weeks on end until last week and suddenly hes not doing it every night now.  Even if hes had a poo only 2 or 3 hours ago he will do another one after being put to bed.... we reckon hes just forcing one out as an excuse to come back upstairs again.

Dont know what to suggest sorry, just thought Id let you know you are not alone!! :)

Offline alyssa1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 13:10:13 pm »
My son would sometimes do the same thing before naptime and bathtime - I'm sure if it was purposely or not but we have begun to ask him if he has to go poo-poo/pee-pee before he goes for nap/bath/bed - and we ask him to try to go.  We have not introduced the potty yet but I know a lot of people that introduce it early and stick their lo on it for a few min. before bed/bath/nap etc.  My son will now look down at his diaper and really try to go before these times, then we cheer for him when he does go.  You could try something similar??  Or, just change your lo's diaper and go back to the regular bedtime routine.  If he sees that the routine is changing a lot then he will probably continue to do it.  IS this his regular time to go??   If it is, then you could try asking him to go before you start the bedtime routine.

Offline mom2william

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 14:11:12 pm »
Thanks for the tips and glad to know I'm not the only one!  I guess I could try to talk to him about pooping during the day and then at night let him know to poop prior to bedtime??  Not sure if he'll understand what I'm saying yet but maybe if we keep talking about it, he will.  He doesn't yet have a "regular" time to poop.  It varies.  But, this may be his time to go.   ::) ::) ::)

Suzanne

Suzanne

William born 3/23/05
Bennett born 3/3/08