Author Topic: 4 month old and ending night feeding....4 hour EASY  (Read 3320 times)

Offline Antoinesmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
  • ???
Re: 4 month old and ending night feeding....4 hour EASY
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 16:42:27 pm »
Not to worry, I know what you mean with needing sleep. I find that with my spirited son we have a real roller coster ride, some days are great and others ... don't get me started. I have notice that with time, patience and reading his cues better he is on the right track. He does tend to revert back to old ways. We just stick with the plan and are determined to see it through. Believe me when I say, I know it can be hard and exhausting but when you see your child on BW technique compaired to one that isn't you really see the difference. I know I did when my cousine brought her son who is only a month difference with my son. She couldn't even read his cues. So hang in there, I'll be here for you until your all find and dandy. I'm also getting help on another board, here's the link...https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=60380.0 As you'll see we are going through rough waters at times too. I also notice that our personnal attitude towards the whole thing affects Antoine a lot. When I feel frustrated, he sense it and is also more irritable during those time. Just remain focus and look at the goal that you are aiming for.

That said...yes the fact that your daughter was born 4 weeks early could be a reason she isn't quite ready for the four hour routine. I'm not saying that it is the reason, it could be. A 1.5 hour nap is great! Is she sleeping the whole nap without breaking it in two? My son has required help to complete his nap and has been sleeping the whole 1.5 hours since yesterday. I hope that I'm not jinxing myself by saying this. If she is sleeping the full 1.5 hour without interruption then I would keep her at the 3.5 hour routine for now. Just don't be too much of a clock hog, I did this mistake and Antoine was overtired and I was paying for that with broken naps. The real important thing is food, breastmilk or formula, intake.

On your before last post you indicated that she is eating from 12 to 1:30, Is this right? 1.5 hour meal? That's too long. She should take around 30-45 minutes to eat. Have you managed to augment your milk production? If so, her feed should be a little bit longer by around 10 -15 minutes. Since she is five months, I know some moms won't agree,  but have you started her on food (ie. cereal, veggies, fruits, pured of course). My son started food at 14 weeks and this has help us with night time waking. If you do start her on food, do make sure that she still feeds the same lenght of time or take in the same amount of formula.  We are only eating food in the morning, he now eats rice cereal and carrots. Because she is so young go slow about introducing new food.  It's important to take everything in consideration. How active is she? I believe she was on cereal before, so she must know how to eat but go slow in reintroducing it, if that's what you choose to do. slowly increase the amount and decrease the water in the equation. We are still at 1.5 water for 1 rice cereal, or pureed carrots.

As for what to do when she wakes at night, we use the pu/pd and it took a long time until it worked. For lots of spirited baby, pu/pd and shush pat are too stimulating. How are you doing the pu/pd? We could tweek it for her needs.

I gotta a go for now, don't despear.
We'll get you there.
My big boy is such a wonderful brother to his new sister.
I am truly blessed.

Offline harker s

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 05:28:54 am »
hey luann stick in there. my lo is 8 mos 2 wks and i have just decided i have had enough of the night feedings. she was waking up every hour and a half to two hours all night. i am breastfeeding and have tried the pu pd method which was not working. so i quite her off night feeding cold turkey. i feed her before her bath, bath her, top her up with some bmilk then put her down, rubbing her back. she now wakes up an hour later where i give her a bottle of warm boiled water, usually takes 10 min till she is asleep. i just give her a bottle of water and she seems to be losing interest. we have been doing this for four days now and lastnight she only woke up 4 times, which is a huge change from 8-10. things seem to get better everynight so stick in there!!!!!
Kaydence's mum sara

Offline luann53051

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 4 month old and ending night feeding....4 hour EASY
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 18:47:54 pm »
Wow!  Giving a bottle of water!  I guess I thought about that once, but decided against it.  I may try it tonight.

Laura