Author Topic: not much awake time?  (Read 1661 times)

Offline mommyskisses

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 17, 2006, 20:35:03 pm »
My 6 week old ds is only awake when eating or if we keep him awake after eating. Is this normal? I am reading about all these activity ideas for babies 0 - 3 months and am getting nervous.
Melanie - Mommy to Adam Joseph 04/03/06

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: not much awake time?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 22:22:55 pm »
Congratulations on your little one!  He will begin to "wake up" soon.  Is he napping and sleeping ok?  He will let you know when he wants to  be awake more.  Just be sure you are following his cues.  Is he on EASY?
~Rachel

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline mommyskisses

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 16:05:04 pm »
He sleeps great - when he is is next to me or in my arms!!! I am also trying to work on that one as well. I obviously want him to be able to sleep alone for longer than 1/2 hour! I feel like that is why he doesn't have awake time - because he is always so tired because he takes cat naps... Sometimes I let him sleep in my arms or next to me just so I know he will get a good sleep. I am probably making matters worse? What is "easy"?

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 19:02:24 pm »
Melanie,
EASY is a routine of:
Eat
Activity
Sleep
Your time
that is repeated through the day.  I have passed your post onto the EASY and sleep moderators to help you out a little more than I feel I can.  Good luck!
~Rachel

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 19:16:02 pm »
Hi Melanie welcome to TBW

The EASY concept is a great way of learning to read your LO's cries and cues. If you follow easy; (as Rachel says) Eat, Activity, Sleep/You time, it means that you know that if you have just fed your LO half an hour ago and she is crying again, the likelyhood is that she is now tired - because you are following a pattern of E A S/Y throughout your day.

I can see from your other post that you have just sorted out some bottlefeeding problems as well, so at least that will make it easier for you if you want to start on the EASY routine.  I have had my LO on EASY since birth and I would have been lost without it, because when your tired one cry sounds like any other.

How often can your Lo go between feeds at the moment? I wouldn't worry if your Lo only stays awake long enough to Eat, get a nappy change and clothes change then falls asleep again.  Another aspect of EASY is teaching your LO to fall asleep independantly & not feeding to sleep.

Let us know if you want to start EASY and we can help you further, in the meantime if you want to get a quick overview see thislink --> https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=60371.0 - Need help starting EASY with a 4week old.
You can also see a sample of EASY routines here for 0-3months --> https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=10384.0

HTH's
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 19:24:36 pm by Calums_Mum »
Lauren x

Offline mommyskisses

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 20:25:03 pm »
I like the idea of EASY and have lots of questions! Right now, my 7 week old will eat between every 2 1/2 - 4 1/2 hours and eat as soon as he wakes up (he wakes up screaming for food). Since reading about easy, I have tried to start implementing it, but it is hard. First of all, how long does activity time last and how do you know when he has had enough and it is ready for sleep? Also, he does not put himself to sleep so how do I get him to?

Offline mommyskisses

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 13:44:44 pm »
I was thinking along the same thoughts that his short naps are what makes him fall asleep. What is the 4 s routine? What is shush pat?Also, what about nighttime?  What do I do then? I most certainly don't want him to have awake time at 3:30 AM! I am new to all of this. He does sleep alone and in a bassinet and pack and play but I have always had to put him to sleep first. ALTHOUGH yesterday he did not want me to hold him and stopped crying when I put him down - something new. He tried to put himself to sleep but it didn't work and he ended up sleeping for 1/2 hour within 6 hours!

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 14:04:39 pm »
mommykisses

Here is more info on the 4's routine;

I would put Calum in his cot 15 -20 min before his nap time to wind him down for sleeping. You could also just try sitting with your LO, have you read about the 4 S’s in Tracy’s books. If you miss her sleep window and he becomes overtired she will cry out of frustration, to avoid this I always follow the same wind-down routine, 4 S's
Set the stage - prepare you LO room for sleep; remove stimulation, darken room, lullaby....
Swaddle - (I used to swaddle now I use a gro'bag with his arms swaddled)
Sitting - Quietly without any stimulation, and when necessary..
Shush-pat

Is there anyway you can start the 4 S's 15 -20min before a nap? As part of your 'A' time

Shush-pat and Teaching newborns and young infants to sleep; https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=39164.0
Starting EASY:- https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=60371.0

More Shush-pat posts here;- https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?action=search2
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 14:07:18 pm by Calums_Mum »
Lauren x

Offline mommyskisses

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 14:11:28 pm »
Thank you. I clicked on that link and this is my 7 1/2 week old to a T! Except my son does not nurse so he sucks on the pacifier.

If I miss out on that window, she gets VERY overstimulated VERY fast and it is almost impossible to calm her down. She'll nurse and nurse b/c sucking makes her feel better, but as soon as she falls asleep and stops sucking she'll wake up again freaked out. Eventually, several hours later, she'll crash and sleep, but until bath and bedtime she won't sleep more than 30min and has an AWFUL day!