Author Topic: will not eat very fussy  (Read 1121 times)

Offline sarahj

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 17, 2006, 21:58:40 pm »
my son has got to be the worst eater ever i get so frustrated he will not put any fruit or veg to his mouth he wont even hold it. he wont eat any meat he will not eat two things together for instance baked beans and potato waffle which i know he likes he will only eat one thing. i can count on one hand what he will eat no bread no milk he started refusing milk at 12months he is now 2 i have tyred every thing hiding it letting him help prepare it i am all out of ideas. sarahj mum of sam

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: will not eat very fussy
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 22:07:11 pm »
sarahj,
I know how very frustrating in can be when your lo will not eat anything.  The only advice I can give is to hang in there and keep offering the foods.  He will not starve himself.  Make sure you only offer the foods at meal and snack times and don't let him convince you that he has to eat later.  He is probably also feeding off your anxiety over it, so try to relax and let him take the lead.
I hope that helps.  {{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}} to you.
~Rachel

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline vmcdonald28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 14:36:21 pm »
my ds is fussy too.
One tip, which you could try... He loves mashed potato with cheese in, so I gave him that regularly, to give him his veg and protein intake for the day. THEN, after a few weeks of him having that regularly, i add a few bits of sweetcorn. He spat one out, but ate the rest (without chewing it!) Now I can give him a huge plate of mashed potato, FULL of sweetcorn, and he loves it.

HOWEVER, there is no way he will eat sweetcorn on its own! I even tried pureed sweetcorn last week, but he just stared at it and cried. How do we introduce new foods?!

In fact, he really wont eat much fruit or veg at all - his MAIN problem with it is that he seems to hate the texture of things. He likes mashed potatoes, but wont try boiled. He wont even attempt any form of chopped fruit or veg. I have resorted to buying 100% fruit puree tubs, which he eventually eats, but it's not the cheapest way to do it!

I hate throwing food away, and I hate making things for him which he wont even try, so I go for the easier option each time.

Does anyone have any tips?

Offline RachelzMommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 21:16:09 pm »
My DD eats yogurt, pasta and cheese, sometimes rice with cheese and peas.  She'll eat pureed fruits and veggies, but wont eat them chopped.  Won't eat bread, cheese (unless melted into pasta), meat of any kind.  No mashed potatoes, though she does like french fries and hash browns.  Who can blame her?  But I have tried to introduce other things, and she used to eat a larger variety.  But now, if it's not something she immediately recognizes, she won't even allow it to stay on her plate.  And then she won't eat the stuff she does recognize because she thinks I'm tricking her!  So I throw my hands up, add vitamins to her yogurt and give her whole wheat/high protein pasta with cheese and hope she grows out of it. 

binxyboo

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 21:51:57 pm »

Offline katrinabull

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • De Locker Winkel
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 19:02:59 pm »
I have a one year old that up until last week ate everything he was given, and fruit and pudding too. Last week his molar came through  - and he started refusing food. But he started eating breakfast (weetabix) at his lunch at nursery on MOnday. He hasn't eaten at home since Friday. He refuses dinner at home, refuses his fruit - but eats at nursery?? He has another tooth through I noticed but this doesn't explain eating at nursery...If he won't eat, I don't give him anything - but I know he'd eat some yoghurt. Should I give in and feed him pudding eaven though he's had no dinner. I have tried giving him his spoon to feed himself and he won't, I've tried cokking veggies and letting him eat with his hands - he won't. Katrina

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 19:08:30 pm »
My 14.5 month old has been refusing some foods too... even when she says she's hungry.  I put her in her high chair and give her the food and if she complains that she doesn't want it, I ask her if she's done and wash her up.  She'll usually ask for food again and I remind her what there is to eat.  We *might* have to get up and down 3 times, but usually not more than once... and after the first day, things improved greatly.  I also plan her meals the night before and try to plan at least one thing I KNOW she will eat. 

What is tough in your situation is that he will eat it at nursery, so it's not that he doesn't like it.  Is it the same foods at home (meaning, do you send in food, or do they have it there already?)

Don't know if that helps at all.

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months