Author Topic: started df last night. . . Help, pls!  (Read 1003 times)

Offline sullivansmama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • "It's tough bein' a little monkey-head"
started df last night. . . Help, pls!
« on: May 18, 2006, 14:37:04 pm »
Hello All-Love this site! This is my first post and I hope I'm doing it properly! DS is 8wks old and eats 6oz/3-4hrs. DH and I decided to adopt the cluster & dream feed plan last night. Followed regular sched. during day til 4:30pm then CF at 6:30 (6oz), 8:30 (3oz), went to DF at 11:00pm and he barely took an oz. ! He then woke up to eat at 1:00am (6oz), 4:30am (6oz).  At around 7:00am I heard him REALLY fussing so I went in to swaddle and he had formula coming out of his nose and he began to cough/choke!!!! I got him settled (and calmed myself down-I nearly had a heart attack!) I brought him in to lay w/ me until the next feed (I was too scared to leave him alone. Woke up crying at 8:15am and I put him in his swing to make a new bottle and he fell asleep! I let him sleep til 9:45am-I wanted to hold him out a bit, since I think he had too many feedings (cluster feeds). He took 6oz with a bit of spit up at the end (which is uncommon for him). He's content under the play gym right now. I'm not sure I'm doing this correctly and I'm nervous to attempt this again-especially since I'll be off night duty for the next 3 nights! Hubby is very capable but I think he'll want to stop this once I tell him of the choking episode! I'm so unsure!! Maybe I should wait and resume this when I go back on night duty Sunday evening? Any comments or experiences with the CF's and DF's would be greatly appreciated!-Tara
Mother of Sullivan "Sully" born 3/20/06

Offline Ī Efka Ī

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 174
Re: started df last night. . . Help, pls!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 14:40:07 pm »
I am not an expert here, but rememeber that Tracy did not recommend CF after 8 weeks, maybe that is the problem? Hope you get it figured out.
~Efka~

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 15:00:50 pm »
Tara - welcome to TBW boards. :)
Stick with your current routine and formula amounts for a few more nights, as it usually takes about a week after starting the dreamfeed to see any results, if in a few days your Lo still only takes oz, it may be worthwhile cutting back the oz's on the 6.30pm feed to 3 or 4oz and see if the DF increases.  I still CF to an extent, but have never done a DF.

Lauren x

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 15:05:59 pm »
Tara, hello, and welcome!!!
I did do the CF but i stopped them when DS was 8WO, but i did continue with the DF up until he was like 6MO (it was interefing with the solids that's why i stopped it). I guess IMHO, i would stop the CF, but keep with the DF. It worked wonders to stop the night feeds for us.

Offline sullivansmama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • "It's tough bein' a little monkey-head"
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 15:12:06 pm »
This sounds good,guys-I guess I must've missed the issue of stopping the CF at 8wks-I know she said to start them at 6wks-Oh well! :-[

I'll try dropping the CF's and just doing the DF. I've been researching the site for DF info and found that most of you say it takes 3 days-a week to get them to take it. I'll be so relieved to drop a night feeding soon! Hope this works! I'll keep you "posted" ha-ha
Mother of Sullivan "Sully" born 3/20/06

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 15:35:01 pm »
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54662.0
Here is the link in bottlefeeding  :)
Lauren x

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 18:52:47 pm »
Hi tara! Welcome! I know how you feel as I experienced something very similar with Gage a couple of weeks ago. Is was horrifying! I am so glad your lo is okay. Anyway, I cluster fed for a lot longer because Gage has always been a fussy eater. What I didnt realize is that it was backfiing on me. He was not only taking in less because he was being so often, but he was getting used to being "topped off" and when his tummy got a little low he was hollering for more. Oops, talk about learning the hard way ::)

I would stick to your eating routine (add a dreamfeed if needed), and just expect your lo to wake for a feed as his tummy is still little. Dont worry though he will start sleeping through before you know it ;)