Author Topic: starting my own playgroup  (Read 1489 times)

Offline thitz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 13
  • Emily and Elliot
starting my own playgroup
« on: May 18, 2006, 17:36:12 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I'm starting my own playgroup at my house in the next couple of weeks.  I just printed off a bunch of fliers and put them in my neighbourhood mailboxes.  So far I'll have my own (15mo.old), two 7 month olds and a 26mo.old and their moms of course.

Any tips on how to set things up so we all have a good time?

Offline DJs mummy

• Showing Appreciation 49
Re: starting my own playgroup
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 19:16:50 pm »
I've recently started going to a playgroup in my area that's only just started.  There's only Daniel, another 2.5yo boy and 3 babies (under 6 months) so it's a lot quieter than the other one we go to.  It's held in a church hall so I guess it would have a differnt feel to what you'll be going for in your home, but I'l just run through what they do (as I really enjoy it!).  It starts at 10am and they usually have tea and coffee AND CAKES on arrival.  They provide sippy cups with juice for the kids (though I always have my own for Daniel anyway, but it's nice to have the option).  They have a selection of toys out for the older kids, a large mat for the babies to lay on with a few toys and a few chairs for mummies to sit on.  We basically just sit around and play with the kids for an hour or so.  Then we have a story and a sing sog at the end.  It finishes at 11.30.  I thiink the reason I like it is because the toys are all clean and in good condition.  The mums are all friendly.  They provide very good cakes!  It's relatively quiet and very laid back.

If I think of any more tips I'll post again.

;D

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 19:34:52 pm »
This is a lovely idea if you have the space to allow kids to play under supervision whilst their mums can watch and relax.  Sometimes, local playgroups can get busy so I am sure that your mums and kids will enjoy.  There is a group near me (in Wales) that I visited recently that had some small soft play equipment for little ones to climb over and under and then they blew some bubbles from a machine then they had some lit up balls and shapes and they turned the lights low.  At the end they sang some rhymes and songs.  I think that you will put lots down to trial and error too. ie perhaps you will realise that somethings are not such a good idea and you will do lots of rearranging until you balance things out.  I run a childminding setting from home and am forever rearranging the playroom to suit different ages and stages of development.  Most of all, have lots of fun!!  Good luck

Offline *Nicola*

• Showing Appreciation 429
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 21:22:37 pm »
that sounds like a brilliant idea  ;D Good luck

They provide very good cakes!  ;D
   Lol lol lol
Mummy to 2 beautiful kiddies. 

A baby is born from the dreams of your heart, and becomes the love of your life.