Author Topic: Feed to sleep at night wakings even if not hungry?  (Read 962 times)

Offline ginger72

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Michelle - A Brit Living in France
Feed to sleep at night wakings even if not hungry?
« on: May 19, 2006, 06:28:57 am »
Hi everyone!

Our 6mnth LO has recently learned to roll and as a result is moving around the cot at night like nobody's business (this morning I found him upside down at the foot of the cot!). This week we had a breakthrough in that he slept through the night (from DF to 7.15am!) three nights in a row - absolutely fantastic but I'm afraid this could be jeopardised by his increased mobility at night. Last night he woke at 5am (like he was before the sleep through nights) but this time I'm sure it was because he was twisted and cornered up in the top of the cot i.e. he woke up due to discomfort rather than hunger.

I've always breastfed him back to sleep during nightwakings in the past but now I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do. I now know he can go through the night without the need to feed so should I not bf if he wakes due to discomfort? I did it at 5am this morning without thinking and then thought it might have been better to try to settle him another way. I guess I know that bf-ing is guaranteed to put him back to sleep v.quickly and am worried about a sh-pat battle at 5am......

Any advice gratefully received!

Thank you, Michelle

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: Feed to sleep at night wakings even if not hungry?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 11:38:46 am »
When your LO wakes at 5am try settling with PU/PD or wake to sleep to start. It will be a battle but he'll learn to settle himself. If you do this consistently for a few nights he should start to settle himself.
Kimberly

Offline ginger72

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Michelle - A Brit Living in France
Re: Feed to sleep at night wakings even if not hungry?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 14:31:13 pm »
Dear Karita,

Thanks so much for your reply....yes, I thought as much - let battle commence!

Very best wishes, Michelle