Author Topic: changing formulas  (Read 1333 times)

Offline CosiQ

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Rodrigo and Laura. Textbook boy/Angel baby
changing formulas
« on: May 19, 2006, 15:57:18 pm »
I need some advice...Since 2 months old my DS has been using NUTRAMIGEN, because he developed an intollerance, now my son is 9 months old,  my Gastro authorized the use of a soy based formula... that´s great, because my budget in formula is almost $ 200 a month, and with this change is going to be lower, less half the cost....the bad news????? My sweet, intelligent, handsome baby doesn´t like the new formula, so, he won´t drink it.....any tips to help him accept this new formula???? HELP ME!! my budget needs a break! :-\
Feliz de ser mamá! :)

Offline Jenn©

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: changing formulas
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 16:17:42 pm »
Did you switch him cold turkey, or gradually?  Nutramigen has a REALLY different taste from soy formula.  Try for one ounce soy/ the rest Nutramigen for a couple of days, then two ounces, and so on.  Good luck!!
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline ks6

• Showing Appreciation 57
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 16:18:27 pm »
Could he have an intolerance to soy?  Ds screamed at all formula until we found Nutramigen, and we have yet to try something else.  I've tried the soy and it is the nastiest tasting stuff!  Could you ask your pediatrician for samples?  Ours get Nutramigen by the case, and we are the only ones in the office who use it, so we have gotten several hundred dollars worth of formula from them.

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 16:24:28 pm »
Nutramigen is great stuff... most babies hate it but it's good that your LO takes it. I don't know how it is but can't you get it on prescription? Or kind of top up the health insurance so that that is possible? Soy is a common allergen as well as cow's milk. But if he can take soy why not ask the doc if you can mix it gradually? He might know if you can do that. Like: one scoop of soy and 5 of nutra and then 2 and 4 and so on. Or only get him to taste the soy every now and again when he is hungry but stop when he stops...

Offline CosiQ

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 16:26:35 pm »
Well hum..... :-[ I was trying cold turkey....And is true, the taste is very, very different, I will try the 1ounce/8 mix, this weeekend, and well see., because he is not intollerant to the soy formula, he´s just used to the taste and smell of the Nutramigen.  :'( Although this formula saved his life and my sanity, 7 months ago.

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 16:30:20 pm »
Maybe ask the advice helpline on the formula packet or better the doctor if you actually CAN mix it. I am not so sure  ::)

Offline CosiQ

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 16:32:32 pm »
I´ll call the doctor right now. Thanks for the advice.
I called....he says is OK, I can try that, well see....
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 16:34:53 pm by CosiQ »