Author Topic: need help with night wakings  (Read 899 times)

Offline rblack

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
need help with night wakings
« on: May 19, 2006, 18:32:32 pm »
My lo is 10 1/2 weeks old.  I have followed a routine since she was born but didn't read and start implementing BW until 8 weeks.  I have been following the three hour easy for the last 3 1/2 weeks and have been consistent and have not schleeped her around, specifically so that I could make sure that her night wakings were not due to inconsistency.  Please help . . . . I feel like I've been trying SO hard and yet still having wakings.[/font]How old is your child? 10 1/2 weeks
What’s his/her daily routine? the seven, ten, one- three hour EASY.
What’s nap routine? I take her upstairs singing a lullaby while we go; close shades, sit her in comfortable spot while I prepare her swaddling blanket.  I softly talk or sing to her.  I swaddle her; stay with her for several minutes; try to make sure she's calm b/f laying her down; use shh-pat if needed.  Leave her while awake if she's not fussy.  Many times she fights naps as we begin 4S routine even though she is tired. How long are naps?
Left to her own, she would only take forty minute naps, but I've been consistently working on shh-patting her back.  I then wake her at the time for her next feed.  I might give her an extra ten minutes if she's in a deep sleep at that time but never let her sleep more than two hours.  She has been sleeping through (the forty minute transition) lately a few times, maybe one, and yesterday two naps during the day.What's bedtime routine? bath, feed, diaper change, & same routine as naps, i don't breastfeed her to sleep; i give her time afterwards (10 min.) Time? 7:30 p.m.
Do you bottle or breastfed?? Breastfeed
How much?  five feeds plus dreamfeed at 11 o'clock or how long? I give her the time she needs; she's a pretty efficient nurser; it usually takes 20 minutes including burp time, may be up to thirty.  If she wants to go longer, I let her, but usually she tells me when she's done.  I make sure I get burps out b/c if she has gas in there, then getting it out allows more space for a fuller feed. If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)  Both, becuase the lactation consultant said she likes the fast flow.  A couple of weeks ago i tried to do one-sided nursing for about two days.  She seemed to be skinnier . . .  i went back to both breasts.How many wakes per night? one or two ,
What’s your LO like when waking at night? oftentimes hyperalert, jerky How long is he/she up? sometimes an hour of shh-pat (those are tough); sometmes ten minutes of shh-pat When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? crying . . . i always wait a couple of min. to make sure it's not just a BM & she could put herself back Or is it a mantra cry? no
What have you tried to settle?? Do you mean shh-pat? yes
What do you do for A time and how long is it? She seems to not be able to tolerate too much stimulation (being around sister's children, sitting under musical bouncy seat too much, etc.) so I actively keep it low: Talk to her; look/play with mobiles; go outside for a swing in the hammock chair; let her play quietly for a few minutes independently in her infant seat if she's happy to do so.  She starts getting clearly fidgety after fifty minutes--sometimes fussy, every once in a while will just tear up & start to cry, which of course does not last long b/c I immed. begin 4 S ritual
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? not yet
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) not yet
Do they have a prop? no, I don't even use a pacifier b/c she was the type who would often wake up when she let it go.   If so what is it?
Do they have a lovie?  I use the same blanket for swaddling, but no she hasn't developed one.
Rebecca Black
angel baby: 2-2-05
dd: 3-7-06

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: need help with night wakings
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 04:32:07 am »
hi there sorry to take so long getting back to you.

I read over your information and I have to say for 10.5 weeks your LO is doing really well. At this age 2 feeds at night is normal and to be expected, by 14-15 weeks you can start trying to get her to drop one feed at night. Though likly if you keep at the pace your going I think you may find she'll drop it herself.
You have a really good routine in place and have a great base to start with. While getting up 2 times a night is hard its actually really good, you should be proud of yourself.
Rememeber to keep A time short and low key, and tank her up before bed and the results will come.
Kimberly