Author Topic: baby yoghurt & why cereal questions  (Read 1150 times)

Offline joannad

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Charlotte Francine & Helena Ruby
baby yoghurt & why cereal questions
« on: May 20, 2006, 21:39:31 pm »
Just trying to refresh my brain on some things as DD2 won't be long for weaning.

Cereal - why is it we're advised to start with these - baby rice & the like?  Just wondered.

Baby yoghurt ( ie the stuff made with formula rather than cows milk) - what's the minimum age for these?

Do Danone still make them - I'm sure I bought them in Tescos last time but couldn't see them when I was browsing the other day. (UK outlets??)

My DD has Coleif (lactase enzyme) added to her milk (prescribed) - will this be a problem with Baby dairy products?  Should I seek medical advice (I'd have to see doc or nurse practitioner as the Health Visitors just give me greif!! - Mine's off ill).

Just trying to remember the finer points.
JO

Offline Messa

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 111
  • Simply Gorgeous!
Re: baby yoghurt & why cereal questions
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 17:34:08 pm »
Just trying to refresh my brain on some things as DD2 won't be long for weaning.

Cereal - why is it we're advised to start with these - baby rice & the like? Just wondered.

They suggest starting with cereal....rice cereal in general because it has the least allergens.  Less of a chance for allergic reaction.

Baby yoghurt ( ie the stuff made with formula rather than cows milk) - what's the minimum age for these?

Do Danone still make them - I'm sure I bought them in Tescos last time but couldn't see them when I was browsing the other day. (UK outlets??)

My DD has Coleif (lactase enzyme) added to her milk (prescribed) - will this be a problem with Baby dairy products? Should I seek medical advice (I'd have to see doc or nurse practitioner as the Health Visitors just give me greif!! - Mine's off ill).

Sorry I don't know  :-\

My answere should bumb you so hopefully someone else can answer.
Melissa

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 17:44:06 pm »
Hi Jo

Regarding the colief - William had colief added to his formula until about 4 and a half months and we found that he didn't need it as his colic had diminished as his digestive system has matured. It says on the box of the colief that you should find it unneccessary after about 4 months... so you may find the same with your little poppet too so it may not be an issue.

I have used Omneo Comfort formula which again is low lactose and I avoided giving him yoghurt and milk based things until 8 months and used formula where some people may start using milk. Now normal yoghurt and fromage frais does not upset his tummy at all. I use petit filous and they seem fine. I also give him custard. The only thing I notice he has problems with is if i give him cheese on its own.. but I am intolerant to cheese too so I guess he's similar to me lol.

If I were you I'd leave off the milk based things as you wean your little one and use formula for mixing cereal etc and then when she is used to her cereal and veggies and the likes you can start introducing the more milk based things gradually like I have.

H xxx

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 12:00:46 pm »
We skipped baby rice completely as I didn't like the idea that it's so highly processed and I also believe it tastes pretty bland, particularly to a breastfed baby who is used to all sorts of taste via breastmilk.

In the UK you're advised that it's ok to give dairy products from 6 months and Danone still make those yogurts - I saw them in a larger Tesco's store yesterday.

HTH
Kelly x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline joannad

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Charlotte Francine & Helena Ruby
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 16:12:28 pm »
Thanks for you answers girls. Will have to ask in Tesco's - can't find them & ours is quite a big store.

DD1 hated baby rice she took it for a couple of days & then started spitting it out - I got her onto carrots & apples & away she went!!!  Organix have a new one out- so I might try that. She's looking at every mouthful we eat but that's the only 'sign' so far so I'm leaving it a bit longer.  She's only just going onto 4/4 & not quite 4 months so there's still plenty of time!
JO