Author Topic: soft poops  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Williamsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
soft poops
« on: May 21, 2006, 02:22:35 am »
Here we are again on the subject of poops, but I've been reading a lot of these posts & am now wondering if my son's poops are normal for him, or if I should be on the lookout for something.  He's 16 months old & was diagnosed at 7 months with egg, milk, peanut, and apple allergy.  He had a lot of mucousy poops when he was very little (under 6 months), but I didn't know what to look for, so he wasn't diagnosed until he had a big reaction to milk-based formula (hives, facial swelling, projectile vomiting) and then again to a biscuit that had milk in it (hives & red face).  They skin-tested him at 7 months & he was very positive to milk, eggs, and peanuts & negative to soy and wheat.  I breastfed him pretty much exclusively until 14 months (i.e., he only got formula if I was leaving him with a babysitter & didn't have enough pumped milk and we mixed it with his cereal daily), so I had to get on the dairy-free diet, too.  Once we got his diet under control, his eczema cleared up & he was SOOOOOO much less fussy.  He'd pretty much stopped with the mucousy poops by that time anyway, so I didn't see much difference.  He is now on soy milk (not formula) & eats a variety of foods without any eczema flare-ups.  The problem is that his poops are consistently peanut-butter consistency.  They vary in color & don't have big chunks of food in them.  Every once in a while, he'll have a more solid one, but generally, they are very soft.  He doesn't have any diaper rash (or very rarely), sleeps through the night (12 hours), and a 2 hour nap daily, so no sleep issues.  He has been behind for his weight (5th-10th percentile), but is 50-60% for height, since he was 6 months old.  I just attributed it to his allergies & the ped is not concerned b/c since then, he's stayed on a consistent curve.  Should I worry about his soft poops, or just chalk it up to "normal" for him? 

Sorry so long, but wanted to give enough background info!!
Sarah, Mom to William

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Re: soft poops
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 15:19:25 pm »
I'm no expert but it sounds normal to me!

From one William's mom to another!

Helen xx

Offline Williamsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: soft poops
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 21:59:24 pm »
Thanks!  I think they are, too, but it's hard to know when to worry sometimes, especially when he's already had so many allergy issues, poor little guy!

Sarah