Author Topic: 3hr to 4hr EASY, swaddling, early waking  (Read 1231 times)

Offline blinky

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 21, 2006, 06:00:51 am »
Hi there
DD is 5 1/2 months old but was born 2 months premature and so we calculate her sleeping and feeding as if she were 3 1/2 months old.
She is doing so well, we've been doing EASY since February and we're on a 3 1/2hr schedule.  In the evening she sleeps from 7pm-5am which is fantastic.  I don't give her a dreamfeed anymore as she was taking less and less, and sometimes she would lie as flat as a pancake as she was in such a deep sleep.

I have three queries
1) DD is still swaddled. I'd like to unswaddle her but she rubs her face so much it wakes her up and she also pulls her dummy out so then she really wakes up.  I've tried taking out one arm, and I've tried the sleeping bags but she seems to like being swaddled.  Should I continue to swaddle her?

2) We should be starting to make the transition from 3 hr EASY to 4hr but I'm concerned that DD wouldn't be getting enough milk as we don't dream feed.  Also we live in a very hot country and I'm aware that she could get dehydrated if she doesn't drink more regularly.  She's also an incredibly slow feeder.  She takes 50ml and stops for a long rest, then 20mins later, another 50ml and so on.  We use all our activity time feeding.  She quite often only has half her bottle and wants to sleep again. So she often doesn't get her full feed as well.

3) I'd like to try stopping her from waking at 5am.  I've tried wake to sleep for 3 nights and it didn't work.  I may try it again now.  I've tried ignoring her. I've tried her usual sleep routine again. i've tried just giving her the dummy again but in the end she always gets hiccups.  Any suggestions.

Thanks, I know there's a lot here but any suggestions at all would be so welcome.

Offline blinky

• Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 3hr to 4hr EASY, swaddling, early waking
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 08:32:05 am »
thanks.

The swaddle isn't really a problem, i just thought it was time to stop.

And I'll feed her at 5am, and wake her at 7am. YEs she goes 10 hrs without a feed.

I'll start working on 4hr EASY, how come it creates night waking and short naps?

Thanks again. Very helpful.  :)

Offline blinky

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 04:52:36 am »
Hi
Just wanted to ask a few more questions:-

I put DD to bed at 7pm as usual, no DF and she woke 5am.
I fed her 5.15am (she had 100ml).
I put her to bed at 5.50am
6.00am she woke.
I fed her another 80ml
She slept until 7.00am

7am the alarm went off anyway, I got her up and tried to top her up but she had nothing.
We had activitity until 8.30 and in the meantime, I kept trying to feed her.
By 8.30am she was clearly tired and had only had 10ml.

So now she's asleep (it 9am) and i don't know what to do.

Do I
a) feed her when she wakes as she'll be hungry ? or
b) wake her at 9.30am as that will be 4 hrs since last feed? or
c) wait until 11am as that officially would be 4 hrs since last feeding time and we're trying to get her on 4hr EASY?

I'm sure once we're sorted, we'll be fine. It'sjust making the transition and I don't know what to do for the best.
Thanks a lot.
Blinky

Offline blinky

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 13:41:30 pm »
Ok, thanks.
She'd only been asleep 10mins though which was why i fed her again at 6am
She's such a slow eater, she only takes 100 ml at a time and you have to wait at least 20mins before she'll have anymore.

It's now 5.45pm and she's had quite a good day - 2 big naps and a 30min cat nap.
She's done well on 4 hr Easy

Thanks again. :)