Author Topic: lactose intollerant? or something else? HELP  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Katie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 99
    • Franzone Family Blog
lactose intollerant? or something else? HELP
« on: May 21, 2006, 11:11:26 am »
my dd has been bottle fed since 3 weeks old.  I am finding that her 2 morning sleeps are great (and her night sleep) but her 2 afternnon sleeps she goes to sleep then wakes up 20mins later like she's in pain then it's just a constant round of trying to resettle her (she falls asleep then wakes up screaming again) my mum suggested she might be lactose intollerant but then she's ok in the mornings and overnight so this wouldn't really make sense???

she also is on 3 hr easy but only drinks 2 - 3 oz because she's not really that hungry (Iguess) but she won't sleep any longer than 1 - 1 1/2 hrs. that's cool 3 hour EASY is good she just doesn't seem to drink that much (Iguess she's having 7 bottles so maybe it's ok she's putting on heaps of weight) I just wondered if she drank more maybe she'd sleep better here or maybe not.... bit confused!

I don't think it's wind she's a great burper and farter :) so I'm at a bit of a loss? She's on Karicare...maybe I should try a different formula any suggestions??  (I'm in Australia!)

Katie

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
Re: lactose intollerant? or something else? HELP
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 12:29:53 pm »
My DS has allways been FF, and the first two weeks, it was perfect, but then he started to be really in pain, specially in the afternoons and at nights, it was AWFULL, i was pretty sure he was lactose intolerant, so i changed the formula, and everything was perfect, i guess you can ask the ped, if you can change to a lactosee-free formula and see how it goes? ? cause for my DS (..and for me too :P) changing the formula was a lifesaver!!! he is now almost 7MO and i have only recently changed him to regular formula again, 'cause i tried at 4MO and he was in a lot of pain again, but he is OK with it now. Perhaps this happens to your DD too.

Hope this helps

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 18:25:51 pm »
Hi there! I feel for you as Gage was lactos intollerant and it was several months until we found out. At the time I was pumping and had no idea my diet was affecting him. He had such bad tummyaches and would not poopoo. He was just miserable. We were having to give him supopsitories a couple of times a day  :-[ and give him special perscription drops and mylicon drops to help with gas. I finally stopped pumping and after 3 different formulas the lacto-free one did the trick. Gage started pooping once every other day which was huge considering we had to help him for the first 8 weeks of his life. Anyway, I would definatly try it. Also, the dr. brown's bottles help a lot with the gas. You can get those at walmart.

HTH

Offline Katie

• Franzone Family Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 00:43:18 am »
Hi,

I started the lactose free formula yesterday and it seems to be helping she is sleeping longer for her naps now  ;D but it still takes a little while to settle her initally i'm not complaining though!!

I figure it might take a couple of days for her to get used to it but it all seems good so far!

Afternoon naps are still a bit dodgy but maybe that's just her? I think all the stimulation over the day builds up and she just can't settle well for this nap, cause as soon as i bath her and put her down for bedtime she's zonked :)

hope your all having a good day

Katie

Offline Katie

• Franzone Family Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 06:03:54 am »
well this afternoon she is still screaming so maybe it's not lactose intollerance???

maybe it's just her in the afternnon's I guess i could try goats milk formula, or maybe she'll just grow out of this argggggh i am going a little nuts today...

Offline estherofi20

• my gorgeous babies
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 12:07:59 pm »
Katie, i'm sorry your DD is having a hard time, have you tried giving her some gas drops like MYLICON drops? i use to give them to my DS every single bottle he used to feed, 'cause besides beeing the first few months lactose intolerant, he was very gassy too, so maybe that would help her too. how does she cry? does she sound like she's is in pain, like a very high toned cry? have you tried giving her a tummy massage?? or bicycling her legs (this used to help a lot)??. here are some tips to help with colic and tummy aches:

- bicycling her legs
- burping her on your shoulder and rubbing her left side back upward, using the heel of your palm. her arms need to be over your shoulder.
- lay her across your forearm, facedonw, and use your palm to put pressure on her tummy
-to help her expel gas, hold her against you and pat his bottom, this gives her focus so that she knows where to push (this helped a lot too)
-massage her tummy in a backward c motion.

Hope this helps ???

Offline Katie

• Franzone Family Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 12:31:28 pm »
thanks. i will try some of these tomorrow (it's night here now) for her 2 afternoon naps she does wake up in pain cause she's asleep wakes up crying like she's in pain but she still has her eyes closed while she's squrming and crying then you resettle her sh - pat and this works but 2mins later she's crying in pain again!! I'm thinking of trying a goat's milk formula.... do u have to wait a set amount of time before switching??

I just feel bad trying all these diff formulas, i wonder if it tastes all different to her, or if she's just happy cause she's getting fed  :) :D

i'm at a bit of a loss, i have been giving her coloxal drops for constipation these help with her pooing  :P

we tried infacol, but that seemed to make her worse!

everyone just keeps saying "she's just a colicky baby" who knows?? maybe she will just grow out of it at 3 - 4 months... fingers crossed!!

Katie

Offline estherofi20

• my gorgeous babies
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 14:12:58 pm »
 Katie, i forgot to say that the Dr. Brown's bottles, helped a lot too. and regarding the infacol drops, my ped prescribed some drops that they sell here in Mexico, and they didn't work, it was really weird, 'cause the Mylicone drop have the same substance in them, that these drops my ped prescribed, and only the Mylicone did the work, and sometimes he was still in pain so the ped prescribed a stronger medicine, (but it tasted awfull!! so i only gave him the strong med at nightfeeds). so maybe another type of drops might help her???

about switching formulas, well i only switched once 'cause my ped didn't like switching that much. But maybe you can try a soy based formula, wich its much milder on the tummy???

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 00:16:26 am »
Hi ladies. katieta, the tips you shared brought back memories.  Oh how I tried every single one of them! \

Gage was hard to burp so  I tired everything. The one thing that also helped was a light bounce/jiggle while sitting on my knee. For some reason it did the trick. We were on soy based formula and it didnt work. I would give the lactose free a week or so.

Also, the suppositories are God send! It was totally weird to do at first, but soon became our saving grace. We could never fully insert them and leave them so we just inserted the tip and held it there for a few seconds or so. This allowed Gage's muscels to relax enough to pooopoo and expel gas. It was instant relief! He got to where he didnt mind the process at all and I think he even welcomed it. The dr said that it doesnt not hurt to use them as temp relief until the bigger prob. is solved. You might want to ask your dr. about thhis. The suppositories were sure nice to have in case the pain became unbearable which was a couple of times a day.  :'(

Dont worry as your lo digestive system develops this will pass. No one knows what causes Colic it just seems to be a catch all lable for a babies who are uncomfortable for a variety of reasons. Their little bodies just need to adjust to the world.

Offline Katie

• Franzone Family Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 05:24:26 am »
stil having 'ordinary' days but oh my gosh she slept through last night  ;D just have to share my joy.....

her sleep after 10am feed was a write off but her sleep (now)after her 1 pm feed is going ok....

she's 7 and a half weeks today, everyone say's she should settle down around three to four months.... only 5 - 9 weeks to go!

Offline estherofi20

• my gorgeous babies
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 11:49:05 am »
she's 7 and a half weeks today, everyone say's she should settle down around three to four months.... only 5 - 9 weeks to go!

Katie, i know the feeling... {{{{{{{{{{HUGGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}

i just wanted to let you know it does get better, hang in there!!!!

Offline Katie

• Franzone Family Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 01:50:20 am »
has anyone tried novolac formula?

just noticed it at the chemist today!!

never heard of it before (we are in australia_)

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 18:09:13 pm »
Hi there. I have never heard of it, but we are in the U.S. I hope things are looking up for you.

Offline Katie

• Franzone Family Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2006, 13:58:16 pm »
well lactose free didn't make a differnce  ::) so now we are trying a thickened formula  :-\ we'll see if this makes no difference we are just going back to normal..... it's so hit and miss!!! today was a bad bad day with naps... hope tomorrows better! thanks for all the advice and support, it's nice to have other mums who understand what your going through

Offline estherofi20

• my gorgeous babies
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2006, 14:53:31 pm »
i'm sorry lactosee-free didn't do, what about soy-formula?