Author Topic: Messing about before bedtime  (Read 898 times)

Offline karen2

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Messing about before bedtime
« on: May 21, 2006, 20:01:13 pm »
dd is 2½ next month and has recently really started fighting bedtime. We usually turn out the lights at about 7.30 and she will stay in bed, but either call down that she needs to go the potty over and over or else she will just cry and say 'I want my mummy/daddy'.  I don't like to leave her when she is like that, so end up going up and telling her I will be outside her door for a while. Eventually she will fall asleep somewhere between 8 and 9 after endless requests for things such as more milk or wanting to put some socks on etc.

The length of her nap doesn't seem to make any difference to the time she falls asleep at night, even if she only sleeps for 5 mins or so she still fights bedtime. I tried dropping the nap and she just nodded off at the table whilst eating her tea! (I normally try to get her down for her nap at around 1pm).

Have tried the sticker chart idea for going to bed but that is not working, any suggestions on other things to try?

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
Re: Messing about before bedtime
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 01:41:38 am »
How long does she sleep til in the am?  Could she just not be tired at 7:30 maybe?  As they get older they do not need quite as much sleep as they used too.  Maybe too just a phase that will pass?
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline karen2

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 12:21:16 pm »
She sleeps to around 6.30 usually, so some nights she only gets 9½ hours sleep at night time and she may only sleep for 40 mins at naptime. I guess she could just be a child that needs less sleep....

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 13:35:50 pm »
How does she act during the day?  Is she cranky a lot, having lots of tantrums?  Or is she generally happy and in a good mood?  I think that would answer wether or not she is getting enough sleep.  Children who do not get enough sleep are more prone to meltdowns. 

Is it still light out when she goes to bed?  You might could try darkening her room some and maybe too she will sleep in past sunrise? 

Just some thoughts but she may just not need as much sleep as before.  Especially if she seems happy with the amount that she gets.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th