Author Topic: Trying to drop the 2:30 am feed with no luck  (Read 1127 times)

Offline annacox

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Trying to drop the 2:30 am feed with no luck
« on: May 22, 2006, 08:37:44 am »
How old is your child - 8 weeks old
What’s his/her daily routine - Feeds at 7, 10, 1, 4, 6, 8, 11, 2:30 (or 3) following EASY.
What’s nap routine - probably 1.5 hours after the 7 and 10 feeds and then 30 mins in the afternoons
How long are naps - see above
What's bedtime routine? At 7:30 bath time, then into bed clothes, draw curtains and give another feed at 8 pm Cuddle, story when he's in his cot.  9/10 times he goes off by himself.
Do you bottle or breastfed - Mainly bottle with breastfeed at the 2 or 3 am.  I have recently reduced the number of breast feeds during the day to try and make sure he's tanking up during the day.  You can never tell  how much breast milk they are getting.
How much? or how long - 220 - 250 mls at each feed
How many wakes per night - He wakes at 2 or 3 then usually 5
What’s your LO like when waking at night? Really grumpy!  Loud piercing yelling constant. 
How long is he/she up - if I feed him about 1 hour.  If I don't feed him it will go on longer but he will drop off in the end but will wake again an hour later.
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? Not quite sure what a mantra cry is but he's screaming the place down.
What have you tried to settle?? - Have tried swaddling but he keeps escaping then getting cold and waking up again.  Have tried the shhh and pat which works sometimes.  Have tried giving a dummy but most of the time he rejects it.  He doesn't have wind or reflux, the room temp is fine it has to be hunger
What do you do for A time and how long is it? Massage, sit in chair looking at dangling things by a window, singing, going for a walk.  Lasts for about 40 mins - 1 hour.
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? Don't think so.  He hasn't had his jabs yet, that's today!
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) I wish we could he's a really hungry baby.
Do they have a prop? If so what is it?  Don't think so, he can fall asleep on his own in his cot.
Do they have a lovie? Is this the same as a dummy, if so yes.

Thanks for taking the time to get your head round it.  Perhaps I'm expecting too much from my lo.  The Tracy Hogg book did say that the bigger babies should be able to sleep through well.  He was 8lbs when he was born and now he's 12 lbs.  I've tried tanking him up during the day.  Am I doing the wrong thing feeding him in the middle of the night, should I persist more with the sshhh pat?

Anna.x

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: Trying to drop the 2:30 am feed with no luck
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 13:44:32 pm »
Your LO is still pretty young yet. I'd suggest you leave it be for a few more weeks and then retry. Even at 12lbs your LO's tummy is still pretty small. I know 20lb babies who wake at night too, while bigger babies can sometimes go longer between feeds, not all can. Don't go by your LO's weight, you'll know he doesn't need his night feeds when he drops to half or less of a feed at night. 2 night wakings is well within the norm :)
Also move bedtime routine to 6:30 and bed time to 7, this will help overtiredness and set you on the path for better sleep. Your ok with the paci at this point. Your LO is to young for it to be a prop.

A lovie is a small toy or a blanket that your LO uses for comfort when sleeping. Usually they'll start using one at 4-5 months.
Kimberly

Offline annacox

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 15:57:42 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I will heed your advice, it is easier to feed him than it is to shh & pat!!

One more question.  If we move bed time to after the 6pm feed (bath at 6:30 and bed at 7) should I still feed him again at 8:00 and then the dream feed at 11 , or should I let him sleep??

The MW today has said we can put him on SMA white, hopefully this will help to fill his little tummy as well!

Thanks

Anna. x

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 16:49:09 pm »
do your cluster feeding earlier, 2,4, and 6:30 and then do a dream feed at 10:30 as usual.
Kimberly