Author Topic: Keeps standing up in cot and won't sleep!  (Read 892 times)

Offline J & J's Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Keeps standing up in cot and won't sleep!
« on: May 22, 2006, 13:48:58 pm »
Hi,

My DS is 13 1/2 months old and I am finding the afternoon nap a nightmare now!!  He just won't go down straight away, keeps standing up at the end of the cot laughing.  He is definately due for a nap.  I'm not sure whether he is ready for 1 nap a day?

At the moment his routine is:

6.00 wake and 5 oz milk.
7.45 breakfast
9.00-9.30 nap
10.00-10.30 wake and play (sometimes has a small snack)
12.00 lunch (not eating a lot at the moment)
2.00-2.30 nap
3.30-4.00 wake and play
5.00 dinner (not eating a lot)
6.30 bath
7.00 bottle
7.30-7.45 bed

Sometimes he'll only have 30 mins sleep in the morning.  Help......I've been laying him back down in his cot now for 40 minutes.  I know that if he misses his nap, he'll be a nightmare later on in the day!

Help please!!
Emigrated from the UK to Australia 1st July 2009!!

My blogspot - fatracslim.blogspot.com

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: Keeps standing up in cot and won't sleep!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 17:16:06 pm »
Your son seems to be ready to transition to one nap a day. I'd try to put him down 30 mins later for his first nap and if this one lasts less than 2 hours, then try a catnap in the stroller/car or even quiet time in his crib for the evening. Then you can try an earlier bedtime, even at 645, so he can catch up for the naps he's missing.

IF you have trouble keeping him awake for longer stretches, you can introduce healthy snacks at the used naptimes to help him hold on for longer. That should also help with his eating at lunch and dinner, since he'll get more calories in, as they get into toddlerhood, they need to eat in shorter intervals instead of big meals.

Try the new adjustments for a week and see how they work. It's a long (and sometimes tough) transition that is only figured out after lots of tweakings so be sure to keep us posted to help you throughout. HTH!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake