Author Topic: Is grass safe to eat ?  (Read 1230 times)

Offline taylorbean

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 29
  • Summer Lovin'
Is grass safe to eat ?
« on: May 22, 2006, 16:20:42 pm »
I've been doing lots of outdoor work recently and have just been putting lo on big blanket, she's very interested in getting into the grass and eating it. I want her to enjoy being outside and getting the experience of outdoor textures and colours but I'm very worried about whether it's safe for her to eat the grass. I'm worried about fertilizers and pestisides and such, I've been discouraging it but of course it's not working.

[Julie & Taylor (09/14/2005)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Is grass safe to eat ?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 16:05:28 pm »
I wouldn't worry if she eats the occassional blade of grass -- but I would definitely worry about it if your lawn has had fertilizer or pesticide put on it.  Do you know if this has happened recently?  I would check out the package or call the people who put it down to see.  It took my LO awhile to realize that not everything was for eating, but she's finally (mostly) figured it out.  I would just take it out of her hands right before she put it in her mouth and direct her attention to something else.  You also might think of having a small snack outside -- some sort of finger food and that way you can show her what she really should be eating -- maybe she's just hungry?  Maybe also bigger/more blankets or more toys to distract her.

Offline Marisa's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 17:56:50 pm »
Any ideas on when they figure out that not everything should go into the mouth?

DD still puts things in her mouth, although she isn't putting everything like she used to. But I still see her pick at something and then put it in her mouth.  :-\  Yesterday I found her with something white hanging from her mouth. It was gone when I got closer. I fished inter her mouth and found a long thread from her sock.  :o 

We don't have the grass, however we do take DD to the park and sometimes she'll pick up something off the ground like a twig or leaf and try to put that into her mouth. I try to pull it away before she gets it into her mouth. DH thinks that we should just let her put it in her mouth to "get it out of her system" and figure out on her own that it's not so interesting to put twigs/leaves in the mouth.

Marie

Offline Fife_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 05:33:59 am »
Sorry but I just had to smile when I read your title  ;)
Arwen does the same. Yesterday she ended up trying to eat a flower  ::). With the occasional bit of grass I'd agree she is not going to come to any harm but I would prevent it completely if you have used chemicals on the lawn, or have a serious cat poop problem.

Vicky

Vicky - Proud Mum to:
Fraser 29/03/2004,
Arwen 24/09/2005,
Sophie 20/11/2007

Offline taylorbean

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 29
  • Summer Lovin'
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 04:22:40 am »
glad to see I'm not the only mom one dealing with a little grass grazer. Thanks for the replies. I've decided that taylor shouldn't be in our grass because we have to spray the lawn for dandelions, i think the chemical is called Dioval.  I came up with a good solution when putting in my garden on monday. I put her in her playpen in the shade with a sippy cup, some rice rusks and some of her fave toys and she had a grand old time without stuffing grass in her mouth, yay!!!

[Julie & Taylor (09/14/2005)