Author Topic: Peeling Fruit  (Read 2362 times)

Offline jbepko

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Peeling Fruit
« on: May 22, 2006, 17:42:03 pm »
Anyone know when I can stop peeling fruit before placing in chopper- pears, peaches, plums? I stopped peeling zucchini awhile ago and he does fine with that. He's 9.5 mo.
Jeni

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Peeling Fruit
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 18:02:07 pm »
I was thinking about zucchini, as I never peeled it.  Super Baby Food says no peels or skins of fruits and veggies until age 3 b/c of choking hazard.

~Rachel

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 18:10:08 pm »
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/veggiefruit.htm#Why%20do%20you%20have%20recipes%20to%20cook%20fruit%20%20Am%20I%20able%20to%20puree%20raw%20fruits%20and%20feed%20them%20to%20my%20baby

Why do you have recipes to cook fruit?           Am I able to puree raw fruits and feed them to my baby?

Most pediatric sources recommend cooking fruits that will be fed to an infant until that infant has turned 8 months old. Bananas and avocado are an exception. For infants who start solids prior to 6 months old, cooking fruits is recommended. Cooking fruits breaks them down thus enabling easier digestion in an immature tummy. The "skins” of the fruits should always be peeled, especially prior to 8 months old! 

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Marisa's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 16:54:24 pm »
I was thinking about zucchini, as I never peeled it.  Super Baby Food says no peels or skins of fruits and veggies until age 3 b/c of choking hazard.

I only removed the skins from zucchini (& squash) in the early days. Once DD got better at eating, I left it on, but made sure to cook it well so it's soft. Doesn't seem to be a problem with her.

I like making mashed potatoes with the skin on, so I have to pick out the skins before giving it to DD. She can probably do it with skin, but I'd rather not take that chance right now.

I have that same site bookmarked. It is the only baby food site I bookmarked. I guess I thought it was so good, I didn't look further for others.  ;D

Marie