Author Topic: should I cut down his nap?  (Read 1523 times)

Offline frankiesmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: May 22, 2006, 18:56:19 pm »
Hi, ds is 21 months old.  He was taking a nap at 1pm for 3 hours sometimes and then going to bed at 8:30pm.  WIth daylight savings time, he got back to his regular wake up time which is 7 am and his regular bedtime but started refusing his nap until 2pm.  He would just sit up there talking away forever and evertually would start crying.
So, we kept it at 2.  Anyway, he often sleeps until 4:30 or 5, and now is not wanting to go to bed until 9 or later.  He is just not tired, I can tell.  So, I was wondering if I should cut his nap back and to what time. I was thinking 4pm would probalby work and then keep his bedtime around 8:30. 
Any ideas?  Also, what is the best way to wake them so as not to disturb their sleep cycle too much.  It seems as though he can be very crabby if woken at the wrong time.  But, sometimes if I just open the shades and turn off the humidifier, he doesn't wake on his own for awhile.

Thanks,
Kim

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: should I cut down his nap?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 19:17:01 pm »
Hey Kim... ds has a very similar timing as Frankie and being the sleep twins they are... i also been having issues with bedtime. I had to limit the nap to 2 hours at most cause otherwise bedtime was hell. Even limiting the nap i sometimes have trouble winding him down and i had to restort to wi/wo for bedtime so he got the point that once bath and routine were done, there was no much he could do but sleep LOL...

Ds also gets super angry when woken in the "wrong way"... i just go in, open curtains, turn music off and sit next to his crib softly whispering: hello, good morning!!!! did you sleep ok??? sometimes it takes me up to 10 mins to wake him!!! but if i don't do it softly, he'd get super annoyed and will be a grouch for the rest of the evening...

HTH!!!!!!!!! Good luck!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline Jess-J&E

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 19:41:39 pm »
I am just reading and living vicariously through those of you who have to wake a little one from a nap.  Wow, what does it feel like to have to wake them...ahhh one can only dream....LOL
Jess ;)
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 19:48:39 pm »
we too had the same problem here although Ryan's nap time was a lot earlier. his nap has always been around 12pm but he was sleeping for up to 3hrs (absolute heaven) but it was affecting his bedtime , he was taking up to an hour to sleep and i didn't want a later bedtime as i enjoy my long evenings .
  we started to cut his nap to no later than 2pm and it worked. we did have a grumpy baby for a while as he hated being woken up , sometimes he would try and go back to sleep  ::) . I would go into his room and sit on his bed and say his name quietly and wakey wakey time , i opened the blind once and he had a huge meltdown as he wasn't ready for the bright light in his eyes , so we don't do this anymore.Anyway after a week of waking he soon fell into a pattern and has started waking himself ,sometimes only having 1.5 hrs. putting up with the grumpiness for a week was worth it as he sleeps within 30mins now at bedtime
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline Melsy

• Showing Appreciation 51
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 10:38:11 am »
Hi Kim,

Long time no see!  How are you??  Congratulations on your new little ds!!!  Wonderful news!

I hope you get some good advice, we haven't had any issues yet with nap time affecting night sleep (touching wood right now!  :) ) so I hope you get it sorted out.  How are you adjusting to life with two???? 

Love Mel and Aidan.

P.S.  Big hello to you too, Florencia and Jess  :)

DS#1 - Aidan born Sept 2004
DS#2 - Callum born Feb 2008
DD#1 - Eloise born Sept 2009

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSYHndn/]

Offline frankiesmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 21:29:42 pm »
Thanks for the info everyone.  Flori, I can't believe how much Frankie and Manolo are alike!  Jess, you crack me up!

Mel, good to hear from you.  Two is alot harder then I thought.  Mostly lack of sleep is what is killing me.  How is Aiden doing?

I have been able to get Frankie down at 1:45 and am waking him by 4:15 and that seems to help.  He is going to bed between 8:30 and 9:00 which is late, but works out since I am busy with Luca earlier.  Plus, it is light out so much later, so I don't mind.

Thanks again!

Kim

Offline tjteems

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 16:56:14 pm »
I know my son is older (2yr 8mo), but I'm dealing with a similar situation, so I thought I'd tag on and see if anyone has any thoughts.  My son has always been a good sleeper and needed more sleep than the average kid.  He naps 2-3 hours in the afternoon and goes right to sleep at bedtime at 8.  The problem is he is waking at 6 or 5:45, like this morning.  Wondering if cutting down the nap will help the early wakings? 
We have a 10 week old, so I'm still up in the night and the early wake ups are really tough.  He used to sleep until 7am.  His room is dark, so I don't know why he is waking so early.  Any ideas?