Author Topic: My LO's sleeping is so messed up!  (Read 3431 times)

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: My LO's sleeping is so messed up!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2006, 18:51:25 pm »
Here was my routine at 8weeks; (based on one day)

W 0730
E 0800
A 00830
S 0900 - 1.5hr
A 1030
E 1100
A 1130
S 1200 - 2hr
E 1400
A 1430
S 1530 - 1.5hr
A 1700
E 1800
A 1815
S 1915 - 30min
E 1945
A 2000 - bath
E 2015
S 2100
E 0345
As we went on and got more in control the bedtime got closer to 8pm. Ideally though, the S at 1915 SHOULD have been his bedtime and he was going to bed to late.  I remember dreading the time times, because we were constantly doing something for Calum, i.e. feeding, bathing and we never had a night to ourselves - I hadn't found the site at that time, just read the 2 books.    It also looks like he could stay awake 90min between naps.  :-\

This is the example routine in the book;
    E 7am
     A 7.30am (inc. a 10 - 15min at the end of this 'A' time for wind down for nap)*
     S 8.30 - 1.5hr  shorter and you haven't been able to extend then you would do EASA

E 10am
     A 10.30am (inc. a 10 - 10min at the end of this 'A' time for wind down for nap)*
     S 11.30 - 1.5hr   shorter and you haven't been able to extend then you would do EASA

E 1300
     A 1330 (inc. a 10 - 10min at the end of this 'A' time for wind down for nap)*
     S 1430 - 1.5hr   shorter and you haven't been able to extend then you would do EASA

E 1600
     A 1630
     S 1730 - catnap only  30 - 45mins

E 1900 & bath or vice versa    or    E 1800   &    2000  with bath in the middle (clusterfeeding)
     S 1930                                               S 2030

DF between 10 -11 https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54662.0

More EASY info here, although it really just goes over what Heather, Stacy and I have said: https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=62100.0

The 'A' times in the 2nd example routine are not for any set age and are just an indication of what the routine could look like. For example, If your LO can only stay awake 1hr (inc feed) then you would need to bring forward the 'S' time and have a shorter 'A' time - your wind down should take place at the later end of your 'A' time (hope I am not making this confusing). If you LO can stay awake longer than one hour you use the 'A' time that is given as an example above as a guide.

You may find that your 1st 45min nap is because your Lo is either overtired or NOT tired enough and you have clock-watched instead of following his cues (we are all guilty of this   ;))

How long can your LO usually stay awake for between naps before showing signs of tiredness? I agree that picking your Lo up is overstimulating at this age, epecially if you have a spirited ot touchy LO, also if he is arching his back when you pick him up - you should put him down becasue he is trying to settle himself to sleep.

Lauren :D
Lauren x

Offline IsaacsMomma

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 05:26:01 am »
My LO seems to only be able to stay awake for about 1 hour-1 hour& 15 minutes.  I try to watch for when he starts to yawn.  It seems like if I miss his cues and he gets overtired, he starts to cry pretty hard and needs lots of help settling.  If I get him down earlier, he'll often just lie in his crib quietly and eventually fall asleep on his own in about 15min-1/2 hour.  Sometimes he'll start to cry though, or he'll wake up and start to cry, and it seems impossible to calm him down by patting/shhing him in the crib and his cries escalate.  Am I not being patient enough, and picking him up too soon?

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 17:09:54 pm »
IsaacsMomma

If I get him down earlier, he'll often just lie in his crib quietly and eventually fall asleep on his own in about 15min-1/2 hour.  Sometimes he'll start to cry though, or he'll wake up and start to cry, and it seems impossible to calm him down by patting/shhing him in the crib and his cries escalate.  Am I not being patient enough, and picking him up too soon?

I would leave him in the cot and do shushpat, whe he starts to cry it may only be an MANTRA cry and he is trying to settle himself to sleep.
Lauren x