Author Topic: Finger Food  (Read 963 times)

Offline lizzie27

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Finger Food
« on: May 24, 2006, 11:48:20 am »
Can anyone give me some ideas on finger food for a 12 month old? She eats sandwiches but not sure other than spread cheese what to put in them. Also I want to give her a snack in the afternoon and would love to give fruit but not sure what to do with it. We have been a bit slow in giving finger food as DH has a bad experience when my step daughter nearly choked on apple (with the peel on). DD loves finger food and much prefers to feed herself but she pushes loads of food in her mouth at once and it really panics us!!

Lizzie

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
Re: Finger Food
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 14:41:53 pm »
For fruit have you tried banana cut up? 

How about apples steamed or microwaved just a bit to get them soft?

Pear is really good when you get a nice ripe one.  It's soft enough to let htem go to town.

Mango is anothe fav.

My ds loved shoving his face too, we just put two pieces on his high chair tray and then he can't mash it all in.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline Marisa's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 17:17:19 pm »
Banana is DD's main fruit, but we also give her strawberries, mango, peaches, apples, grapes. You have to make sure that the apple is soft, and we peel off the skin. We peel the grapes and cut into small pieces.

We're trying to get DD to practice using utensils, but sometimes she just feels like using her fingers. Some foods we let DD eat with her fingers include:  avocado, yams, carrots, zucchini, squash, beans, waffle, toast, pancake, rice cake, cracker.  Basically anything that isn't too messy (like spaghetti sauce, mashed potato).

Marie

Offline corrina01

• Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 11:45:19 am »
Plums are good finger food as well, make sure they are ripe and soft to the touch, peel, take stone out and chop it to little bite size pieces
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline Lola

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Missy M's Mama
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 12:40:17 pm »
My DD loves pieces of soft squash cut up, bananas, avocado bits, nutrios (like Cheerios) but for toddlers, I nuke a potato (sweet or regular) in the jacket and cut it into small squares, cooked carrots cut into bits, small bits of bread (I'm leery of toast as it is crunchy-she's not ready yet I don't think). She loves bits of apple (cooked) and pears (cooked) cut up and rolled into smashed nutrios.
She loves cheese cut into bits too.
I myself am not sure what else I can start giving DD as she loves to feed herself :) Any other suggestions? She has two bottom teeth...
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80