Author Topic: need help again!  (Read 2090 times)

Offline kenj93

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: May 24, 2006, 16:30:35 pm »
Hey there,

Wonder if you could offer me some advice again.  It seems to be getting worse at night.  During the day it is great.  I'll post our schedule:

6:30AM-7:00AM     -     Wake for the morning.  Sometimes nurse first thing depending on the last feed.

7:00AM     -     Baby (Remy) sits in her swing while I shower.  Very quietly!! 

7:30AM    -     Nurse her around this time.

7:30AM-9:00AM     -     Plays on the floor.  Cuddles with me.

9:00AM    -     Nap time (I put her in the crib awake.  Never fusses.   Goes right to sleep.  I don't nurse her to sleep.)

11:00AM-11:30AM    -    Remy wakes up.  Usually wakes up playing.  I go in when she starts fussing.

11:30AM-12:00PM    -    Nurse her after her nap.

12:00PM-1:30PM    -     Play, go for a walk, etc.  Nurse her.

1:30PM-3:30PM    -    Nap.  Again, I don't nurse or rock her to sleep.  I put her in the crib.  Usually, wakes up playing.

3:30PM-6:30PM  -     Normal routine.  Remy is a little grumpy during this time period.  I am busy doing dinner, etc as well I have two other kids so she sometimes has to wait for me!  Nurse
                             her a couple of times.

5:00PM    -   Just started feeding her pablum.  Probably about less than a tablespoon.

6:00PM    -    Nurse her.

6:30PM    -    Bath time.

6:50PM     -     Start to put her to bed.  Routine consists of swaddling her,  telling her it is night night.   Do the Shh Shh a couple of times and put her in her bed.

She usually squawks a couple of times and then goes to sleep.  She typically wakes up 40 minutes later and I pick her up, rock her, shh shh and put her back.  This pretty well continues all night.  She is basically up every 40 minutes all night.  I am pretty tired (understatement!!). 

Now, this is what is different and I figure it is why she is up.

During the day, she naps in my 2 year old's crib in her room and at night she is in a crib in my room as I don't want them waking each other up.  My other daughter just turned two last week and is not ready to make the move into her bed which is why I still share a room with Remy.  Better to be up with one than two, right?!?!?!?!  I am thinking of trying to put the two of them in the same room shortly but will still have to have Remy in her travel crib (it is large with lots of room).  At least that why, I'll know if it is the crib or the room that Remy prefers.

What do you think?  Do you think that is it?  I am too tired to think it out further than that and would love some suggestions!!!!

Thank you, kenrda

Offline kenj93

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 16:31:21 pm »
Sorry I accidently posted twice.   I don't know how to delete the second post!!!!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: need help again!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 17:34:09 pm »
I deleted your second post.  ;)

A few follow up questions - how old is Remy? What is Pablum? Do you know her personality type?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline kenj93

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 21:29:09 pm »
Hey there,

Remy is six months old today.  She is a cross between an angel baby and textbook baby except for her sleep habits.  Other than that she is a really really happy baby!  Pablum is rice cereal.

Thanks, Kendra

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 22:14:16 pm »
Your routine looks good to me, the only thing I would question would be feeding. I am not able to breastfeed so I'm not really the greatest with this, but do you have an idea of how much she is taking at a feed?  I wonder if she is snacking rather than taking a full feed. Judging by your routine it looks like you do at least 5 times? Is that right? By 6 mo. by lo (bottlefed though) was taking 4 feeds of 8 oz each. I would think that a BF baby would do the same.

If she is snacking, then she is probably waking at night because she's hungry and in the habit of eating more often.

Also, rice cereal can be constipating for some los - do you think she might be having gas or tummy upset?
Jessica

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 02:03:43 am »
i do agree with jessica as rice cereal had very ill effects on my lo - couldn't feed it to her and still can't .. along with oatmeal and barley...they just give her excessive gas and also constipate her. so if your lo's wakings are different than before i would say that could very well be the culprit. stop the cereal for a week or so and see if it helps the situation at all.. if it does help than maybe try to go to veggies or fruits instead...or i mean you could try the oatmeal and barley as they are supposed to be easier on the belly as far as constipation goes.

as for bfing...how are the wakings different? how were they before they changed? could it have been something you have been eating that you haven't perhaps tried eliminating? as far as ff vs bf imo the feedings should be similar in reference to how many they should be getting...how many total feedings in a 24 hr period is your lo getting? how many night feedings and at what times?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline kenj93

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 14:34:25 pm »
Hi there,

i did stop the rice cereal yesterday and she did seem to sleep better.  I thought I would try a different cereal or start some veggies with her.  She bf's frequently and eats for about 15 minutes on one side so I think that is going fine.  I don't feed her every time she is up at night.  Usually I only feed her once or twice.  She likes to sleep on her side so last night I put a pillow behind her as I think she is startling awake when she rolls on her back accidently.  So I am not sure if it was the cereal or the pillow that helped.  Not that it was great, though.

Thanks to everyone for all thier help.  If you have anymore suggestions,  I would love them.

Kendra

Offline teezee

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 14:40:58 pm »
glad the night went better...i would leave her off the solids for a few more days at least and see if that helps. if lo isn't comfortable or has belly ache or cramps she won't be able to get through her sleep cycles well, thus all the wakings.

i still to this day can't give my dd any type of infant cereal as it ALL constipates her and gives her cramps.. :-\ ..but tht's not to say yours is the same way. do what you are comfortable with - as long as you are bfing and that's the main source of nutrition all is well! whether you want to start some veggies or try a differnt type of cereal. good luck with everything - and if you are unsure of yourself about the soilds ask what your dr thinks at the next appt - but i would think that you are doing a great job! ;)
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline kenj93

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 23:10:23 pm »
Thanks so much.  You are such a help.  It is great to be able to just run things by people who are going through the same issues.  Hopefully, tonight goes OK too.  when I think about it, the whole night thing started when she started to roll and I think she keeps waking herself up by going onto her back but who knows!!!  I don't think you ever really figure it out!

Thanks again, Kendra

Offline kenj93

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 11:15:50 am »
Hi everyone,

Exciting news for me!!!!!  Remy slept from 7:30PM (went in her crib awake) and didn't get up again until 1:30AM to eat.  She went right back to sleep and got up again at 4:30AM to nurse and then not again until 6:30AM.  I feel so much better.

I think that pillow behind her really helped and I put some white noise on for her as well as that is what is in my other daughter's crib where she naps during the day.  I put the pillow behind her and down lower on her back so it was no where near her face if she did roll over to face that way.

I also didn't feed her cereal yesterday.  I gave her a bit of squash but probably not even a teaspoon full. 

Thanks for everyone for listening and I hope this continues!!!

Kendra

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 23:47:27 pm »
That's great to hear!! Keep us posted!  8)
Jessica

Offline teezee

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 03:25:46 am »
congrats! i hope this is the beginning of many restful nights for you hun!! ;)
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline kenj93

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 13:16:12 pm »
Thanks everyone for listening.   I'm sure everyone here knows what it feels like to be so exhausted and it was great to be able to come to this board for some really helpful suggestions. 

I have had good nights for the last four and I have hopes it will continue but I'm not counting my chickens yet!!! 

Thanks again, kendra

Offline teezee

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 13:18:34 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D keep up the great work!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005