Author Topic: 10 1/2 month old waking up multiple times a night  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Mr Personality Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
10 1/2 month old waking up multiple times a night
« on: May 25, 2006, 04:49:07 am »
Hi everyone, I hope that somewhere out there someone has some good advice for me!

My son (10 1/2 months born 7/9/05)was a great night sleeper, he was sleeping 8+ hours a night from 11 weeks onwards. At the beginning of May, he got a nasty stomach bug and ever since then he has been waking up at night between 1 and 6 times a night. He is not hungry, wet, dirty or teething. Well, teething is always a possiblity but he is not in pain from teething. He has recently started crawling and pulling up on everything. So, lots going on with him over the past 3 weeks.

I am at a loss as to what I can do. He falls asleep on his own for naps during the day but normally falls asleep at night while drinking his last bottle. I try to keep him awake until he has finished but 9 times out of 10 he just falls asleep drinking.

When he wakes up, he wakes up screaming. I have gone into his room and tried to calm him down but he is usually too upset to calm down alone. So, I've been picking him up and walking around with him for a little while and he usually falls alseep again. Repeat this a few more times.

Sorry this is so disjointed, I guess I am getting a little punchy from lack of quality sleep!

His schedule is:

6:30 wake up
8:00 bottle of formula, between 4-8oz
9:00 breakfast 3/4 cup yogurt with fruit, 1/3 waffle
10:30 nap between 30-90 minutes, it varies
12:30 lunch jar of meat and veggies, jar of fruit
2:30 bottle of formula usually 4-6 oz
3:00 nap around 60 minutes
5:30 dinner jar of meat and veggies, jar of fruit
8:00 bath, get into pj's, storytime, last bottle, 6-8oz
8:30 bed

He has never been a great napper, he used to nap 3 times a day for 20 minutes each!

Any advice for a tired mom???

Thanks!
Susan
Daniel 7/9/05

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: 10 1/2 month old waking up multiple times a night
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 16:06:44 pm »
BUMP!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Re: 10 1/2 month old waking up multiple times a night
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 17:51:33 pm »
A quick look and I would say that being more active he is getting more overtired. I find that following illness they get sleep deprived and this causes night wakings and then they don't catch up with sleep very easily especially if they aren't great nappers. At 10hours per night, your lo is on the very low end of sleep amounts so he has nothing to fall back on. waking crying in the am normally indicates overtiredness.

I would try a few nights of very early bedtimes, as early as you can possibly manage, and this may very well sort the problem out. Overtiredness = night wakings in my book!!

Good luck.

Justine