Author Topic: Mom's Tired  (Read 955 times)

Offline Lilasmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: May 25, 2006, 12:35:01 pm »
Hi, DD turned 6 months last week, and  is still waking one-two times per night.  She hasn't slept through the night since she was 13 weeks  :-\.  For the longest time I was sure she was waking hungry.  She would wake at different times, and would take full feeds.  Now, she's still waking and feeding is usually the only thing that will get her back to sleep.  For example: She woke at 2 am last night (had dream fed her at 10pm).  She babbled and babbled so I left her as you guys suggested.  After 45 minutes she started fussing then crying.  So, I went to her and couldn't get her to settle.  She wouldn't take her soother.  Finally I just fed her.  She ate, then I layed her down and she went to sleep (she doesn't fall asleep on the breast).  Then she was awake again at 4:30pm, and the pattern repeated itself and I ended up feeding her at 5:30am.  Now because she ate at 5:30am she doesn't take a full feed at her 7am feed  ???.  I'm not sure what to do to get her to sleep through. She's almost 19lbs, so I really don't think she still needs night feedings.  I hope you guys can help.  Here is our routine:

E- 7am (breastfeed) (8:30am 2tbsp solids)
A
S 9am
A 10:30-11
E 11am (breastfeed) (12:30 1tbsp solids)
A
S 1pm
A 1:45-3pm
E 3:00pm (breastfeed)
A
S 3:45pm
E 5:00pm (2 tbsp solids)
A
E 6:30pm (breastfeed)
A
S 7:00pm
We don't consistently dreamfeed unless our routine gets pushed forward and she doesn't get her last breastfeed before bed because she's just eaten her solids supper shortly before.  (we tryed dreamfeeding before and it didn't seem to make a difference, she woke just as much)TIA.

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Mom's Tired
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 14:45:20 pm »
how long are your total naps for each day? usually lo's this age will have two longer naps and a catnap - the catnap is usually the one before the bedtime as if it is too long then it may disrupt sleep. depending on how much sleep your lo is getting, that may affect her nightwakings also.

at around 6-8 months lo's tend to drop the catnap as they are able to start staying up for longer periods. if the above doesn't work, then i would def try eliminating the catnap, most days to start (unless lo really needs it i would leave it out and opt for an earlier bedtime).

for just being six months your lo is getting an awful lot of solids per day imo...when did you start feeding solids? maybe you just want to leave it to morning to make sure it isn't having any ill effects on lo's belly?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Lilasmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 15:18:43 pm »
DD's total naps for the day are usually 3-3 1/4 hours (3 naps).  We started her on solids when she was a little older than 5 1/2 months (3 weeks ago).  We started with just bkft the first week, the second week added lunch, then this week added supper as well.  I took my doctor's advice, as she told us to give her 1-2tbsp per meal  ???.  I thought she was having less than most babies her age we know (who are eating 4-6tbsp 3x per day)???  But perhaps this is the problem, maybe i'll cutback.  I have noticed that she's quite gassy lately.  However, these night wakings have been happening for a lot longer than since she started solids.  Also, I think we'll work towards dropping the catnap, by extending her A time.  Thanks for the advice  :D

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Mom's Tired
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 15:47:52 pm »
maybe you want to try cutting down on say the morning nap (as well as getting the catnap switched with the pm nap) and make total naps/day say 3.25 hrs for a few days and see if it helps? if not, you can always go back..

the reason i asked about the cereal is b/c sometimes a lo needs a bit more time for their digestive systems to be able to handle the solids - personally - imo i would leave lo on breakfast solids but cut out the other two..esp if  she has been gassy. my lo was gassy also when i first started out on cereal and it didn't really show til about a week afterward which made it hard for me to make the connection. maybe you also want to start trying barley or oatmeal as they are supposed to be easier on the belly as far as gas is concerned, although i would just do it in the am for a bit longer and slowly work your way up...check out the feeding solids/weaning board if you want more info though :) good luck!!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005