Author Topic: 1 Wk Old- crying for hours @ night...help!  (Read 6241 times)

Offline frankiesmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: 1 Wk Old- crying for hours @ night...help!
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 20:59:51 pm »
oh ,he'sonly had 2 doses of zantac!
kim

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 21:12:27 pm »
You should start seeing some improvement within a week, but probably less then. I know that seems like an eternity, but once things get better you won't believe the change.  :D  He's probably better during the day because he's more upright, so he gets the benefit of gravity. Laying down can really aggravate the acid and heartburn. I'd scream all the time too if I had heartburn 24-7!

And yes, yes, yes do whatever he needs right now. The best advice I got when my DS was horribly refluxing was to throw the routine out the window, do whatever we needed to get through it for now and work on the other stuff later.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline frankiesmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 13:18:49 pm »
Thanks!  Last night we swaddled him again instead of putting him on his belly.  We put him down at 8 and he woke up at 9 and I was going to feed him but dh (bless his heart) wouildn 't let me and was succesful in pat/sh him and he went back down.  We put him in his swing swaddled (with no motion) so he was more upright and he woke at 10, 1:15, and 4:45.  So that was a great improvement!
I hope it continues. Thanks for the advice!

Kim

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 16:31:19 pm »
Excellent!  ;D  :-*
Jessica

Offline Moongrinner

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 16:55:42 pm »
congradulations on your new arrival! :-*

Ah, Momma, it can be really tough sometimes, my utmost empathy to you.

My LO woke up all night if I tried to dreamfeed her. I didn't try to keep her awake during the day because the one day I tried doing that she didn't sleep at night at all, but I did wake her every three hours to feed her, which was sometimes REALLY difficult.

If you're going to massage your LO's stomach make sure you do it counterclockwise (looking down on your LO) because thats the way our stomaches churn.

Did you already elevate on side of you LO's matress?

OK, this may sound stupid, but when you burp your LO do you gently rub or pat the upper left side of the back for a full five minutes? I actually found rubbing upward got more burps from my LO than patting sometimes.

I don't think it's ever OK to let a baby cry it out. That said, ther have been msny times when I have set my LO in her crib and said, "momma needs a break" stepped outside for a moment, took some REAL deep breaths, prayed, then came back to take care of my baby. I think:   RULE #1 OF PARENTING - YOU CAN"T CALM A BABY IF YOUR NOT CALM YOURSELF.  Which is sooooooo hard at times! ::)

Does the swaddling help? My LO couldn't sleep without it for very long.

OK, I think I'm just repeating the same advice you've heard

Also, my utmost empathy becasue my man and I aren't always on the same page on what to do with our LO when she is being "difficult" and that can be really tough!

Offline newmommy21

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2006, 17:49:01 pm »
Ladies- pleeease try some Grip Water on you lo's...it is wonderful and calms a baby down sooo nicely. I was going through the same thing with my ds and everybody kept telling me to try gripe water and I just didnt listen to them since Tracy never mentioned it, but finally, I tried it and everything turned arount. Please try it, you can usually find it in ethnic (Indian/Pakistani) stores. Good Luck!
Nadiya

Offline *Mona*

• Showing Appreciation 144
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2006, 18:25:54 pm »
hi :)

I agree with the grip water: it really helps :)

anyway, my lo [she's a little over 5 weeks now] was the same, staying awake for 2~2,5 hrs straight at night after I'd fed her... but it passes, really :)  now she wakes up some 2~3 times a night [evening feed around 7pm, night feeds 12pm/1am, 3/4am, wake up at 6/7am].
during the day it varies a lot, sometimes she "sticks" to 3 hour EASY like a little angel, sometimes she just naps for around 45 minutes and gets really fussy in the evenings [thought it was colic, but she only sreams for 15~30 minutes, not every day].
maybe Your lo will be similar? spirited in the daytime and a good sleeper at night.

hugs
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs
Nina - 27.11.2012 :)

Offline MicheleOH

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2006, 12:04:53 pm »
this is micheleOH again...the original post.

My DS is now almost 3 weeks old, like frankiesmom, and my dh & I are at our wits end. Nothing...I mean nothing...seems to work. Pat/shh doesn't work. Swaddling doesn't help (he usually freaks out when we swaddle). We've tried holding him sideways and rocking him on our knees per suggestion of our doula and that doesn't work. Gas drops don't work...nothing works!

He's just so gassy. He grunts and squirms constantly. Sometimes he even cries out in pain (last night he let out this horrific sound that really terrified me!) Breastfeeding doesn't even calm him down anymore. I at least used to be able to count on that to get him to fall asleep, but now he just squirms and even cries while trying to feed...to the point where he can't really feed well.  >:(

And now, he's not just up for two hours one feed period, he's up every feed period for at least an hour after nursing! My husband and I have truly lost hope. And we simply don't have the patience or mental stability anymore (after loosing all this sleep) to keep trying.

What is gripe water? Can someone give me a more detailed explanation? Sounds kind of funny.

Is there any hope for us? This is seriously hurting our lives and our marriage. :(

Offline ¤ Efka ¤

• Showing Appreciation 174
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2006, 12:23:37 pm »
Hang in there, it is getting better as your LO grows. We are not good yet, but we are doing better. as our LO is little older too.
Gripe water is something to give for LO to help them pass gas or other belly discomfort. There are different brands out there.I know baby bliss is sold in some health stores. Also somebody recommended colic calm gripe water, which I believe could be ordered on internet only.
Give you some links to look at.
http://www.babys-bliss.com/
http://www.coliccalm.com/
~Efka~

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2006, 16:52:45 pm »
Michele, if you haven't already I think that you should speak to lo's doctor about his digestive system. Of course all babies have a somewhat immature system when they're born but your could be extremely immature.
Jessica

Offline newmommy21

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2006, 17:36:59 pm »
Michelle-I really feel for you, we were going through the same exact thing. I used to sit there and cry while my baby was crying, I felt like I just cant do it anymore, sometimes I would leave him in his room for a minute and go cry in another room. My mother kept telling me that I'm making my baby suffer by not giving him gripe water, finally I asked around and found out that its really popular and really works so I went and got some. I was just worried about what was in it, but its all natural and completely safe. Dont worry about ordering it online or anything, I think just about every single Indian/Pakistani store carries it, as long as you have one nearby. Just go in there and ask them, they all know what it is. Good luck, like everything else, this too shall pass.  :)
Nadiya

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2006, 17:37:31 pm »
I agree with Jessica... fwiw... I think you should see the doctor to rule out reflux or some other issue. If for no other reason than to put your mind at ease.

{{hugs}}

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2006, 21:35:29 pm »
Ditto on the doc visit.  Also, gripe water might be found in the baby section of a bigger grocery store.  If the fan helps, maybe he would like that better than shhh?  Huggs!!!!!!!!!
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Moongrinner

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2006, 22:36:28 pm »
They sell gripewater at my neighborhood health food store. I hear it is mostly for prevention, but I also hear it works really well. Good luck with your lo! You have my utmost empathy.

{{HUGGGGGGG!!!!!}}

Offline Missy Lou

• Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2006, 00:43:54 am »
Hey Michelle.  This is long.

Your post reminds me a little of mine a couple of months ago.  My lo had horrible gas pains and since I was nursing, she wanted to eat every two hours.  So ALL day this was my routine - feed her, change her and then rock her until she was in a deep sleep.  Then I'd slowly and carefully lay her down.  This all took at least an hour.  Then I'd pass out and wake up with her crying again anywhere from 45 to 60  minutes later.  That doesn't really count night time from 12 -3 or even 5 a.m. sometimes with her crying.  I remember hating being a mom and honestly thinking I'd made a mistake and then I hated myself for feeling like that.  I'd cry a lot and several times a day because I didn't know what to do.  Up until 4 or 5 weeks, it was so hard to implement EASY because she had gas pains so it was hard for her to sleep and I'd rock her or sleep with her.  It was really awful I have to say.  I posted here also feeling like I was going crazy.

The gas pains lasted until about 6 or 7 weeks.  Up until then, I'd rock her to sleep.  I know it went against the book but she was so miserable and would look at me with these scared, sad eyes and she was so tired.  I didn't care anymore and so I'd rock her to sleep and I found that when I slept with her at night, she'd sleep for 2 hours straight which was a LOT.  I probably broke every rule Tracy said not to.  I did have her on EASY but after the gas pains went away, she had issues with reflux so I bought a cradle swing and she slept in that until she was 10 weeks old.  Then she decided she was ready for a crib and that's where she sleeps now from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. (with exceptions of course).  She dropped her night feeding about a week ago.  She still has issues with napping and may like her pacifier too much but she is worlds better than she was at your lo's age.

I remember postings that it would get better and I didn't care about that - life sucked now.  I know you're exhausted and it sounds like your husband is aggravated.  Please just remember that your lo completely and solely relies on you - you to feed him, change him, relieve his pain and comfort him.  And that isn't to make you feel overwhelmed, it's just to drive home the point that he needs you now.  You will get the sleep you need in a few weeks.  Maybe you and your husband and set up a schedule that he sleeps from 8-2 and you sleep from 2-8 or something like that so you each get straight sleep and maybe can better handle the crying which it seems is worse at night.

Also,  my lo fought being swaddled like a champ so I didn't do it.  But she was so crazy with not sleeping that I tried it again even when she fought me.  I would swaddle her up tight, hold her tight and close to my chest and go in a dark room and shush next to her ear and pat her bottom while jiggling her just a little.  After a few minutes, she'd at least stop that awful crying.  I'd keep doing all three things but would soften up the shushing, then stop jiggling then stop patting.  I'd hold her though for at least 30 minutes until after that 20 minute jolt thing Tracy talks about.  Usually, that 20 minute jolt would fully wake my lo up and we'd have to start all over.  I honestly had no hope.  But now, she puts herself to sleep almost every time and doesn't need much intervention unless she is really overtired.

I probably gave you advice maybe the others wouldn't and I hope I didn't make anyone mad.  Venting is what got me through the first probably 10 weeks.  I'll be thinking about you. :-*