Author Topic: 12 month old weaning himself  (Read 1188 times)

Offline TwiceAMomma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
12 month old weaning himself
« on: May 26, 2006, 02:32:42 am »
My son will turn one in about a week.  Lately he has drastically reduced his bottle feedings.  In the morning he'll take 4-6 ounces, afternoon he'll take about 6, and at bedtime he'll maybe take 1 or 2.  He just pushes the bottle away.  He's a great eater when it comes to solids (he usually chows down). I'm mainly concerned about the bedtime bottle. We're feeding him dinner at 5:30-6:00 and he's going to bed about 8:00.  Should I be concerned or is this just normal?  Is it possible that he's weaning himself?

Thanks!
Jude's Mom

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: 12 month old weaning himself
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 13:36:40 pm »
It is completly possible that he is weaning himself.  My dd did so at 11 months (from breastfeeding... only the first in the AM was left, and she self weaned that shortly after her 1st bday).  Have you started milk?  Has your dr given the go-ahead to do so?  Does he drink from a cup?  You can offer the formula in a cup with dinner and perhpas some before bed.

~Rachel

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Poppy & Lily

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
  • UK
Re: 12 month old weaning himself
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 08:42:53 am »
Hi,

My DD weaned herself off milk completely by the time she turned 1, like the PP's have said if it is not affecting his nightime sleep then i wouldn't worry too much, perhaps offer him some milk with his meals or give him cheese and yoghurt for the calcium!

HTH :) :)
Poppy-lilys mum

http://b1.lilypie.com/rkqp0/.png[/img][/url]